Tromso, Norway, and Split, Croatia

deserat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just got back from Tromso - north of the Arctic circle - uhhhh, one of the more expensive places I've ever been. Beautiful, though. Part of the trip was for business. Best thing we did was climb the cable car hill looking over the city (Tromso) - exhilirating and great views. We also stayed in a more remote area which had cabins - the sun did NOT set - was exhausting and very dis-orienting. Bought another Oleana sweater - some of the thinnest and mst beautiful merino wool sweaters available - love, love, love them. Keep you warm without the bulk.

Will be going to Split, Croatia, this weekend. Really looking forward to seeing the Diocletian Palace, beaches and eating excellent seafood (and climbing Marjan hill). This trip will be significantly cheaper as Croatia is much cheaper (the Poles and Italians go there for cheap vacations!). We also will be staying at an apartment of a friend, lowering the costs significantly. Hope to also get to Hvar island for some hiking through lavendar fields....we really like Croatia - great value for excellent experiences historically, epicurally and hedonistically (if you wish on the latter - many nude beaches, et al, if you do that).

Lived in Tromso for a while. Great place but not so much fun in winter!

Have a great time! My parents are Croatian so I have a lot of family spread out among Split, Zagreb and little towns in between the two.

I personally prefer Dubrovnik over Split although Split is very nice.

Sounds nice. Hope you have fun!

I would like to hear about your experiences in Split.

Tromso is ancestral home of DW. Need to get there sometime, probably not in winter!

I'm replying to this from Reykjavik and agree that things in Nordic countries are really expensive. Heres a picture of the cathedral and some Icelandic wit and wisdom

Attachments

• image-3596118842.png
    image-3596118842.png
    748.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image-466747473.png
    image-466747473.png
    998.8 KB · Views: 12
I'm replying to this from Reykjavik and agree that things in Nordic countries are really expensive. Heres a picture of the cathedral and some Icelandic wit and wisdom

I spent 13 months at the US air base outside Reykjavik. My first night I went to bed at 6PM (my 1st time to experience jet lag, so I was done). After an extremely deep sleep I woke up at 7 according to my clock, but couldn't tell if I had been asleep 1, 13, or 25 hours due to the perpetual daylight. People were outside walking around, but that didn't help in my determination. I finally found a TV channel with the time and learned that I had been asleep only 1 hour. I was really delirious.

Desert,

Were you able to take any of the Hurtigruten cruises? Going on one of these working vessels for a holiday has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember.

Queenie

Back
Top Bottom