Financial Times article, some bullish US views

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Interesting article comparing some US and some competitors especially China: The protective walls of Fortress America - FT.com

Exports of $2.1tn last year were only 14 per cent of national output, according to the Commerce Department. The largest trading partners are its neighbours to the north and south, and all the countries that use the euro combined bought only $200bn worth of US goods and services last year, as much as Mexico.

Meanwhile China, which bought only $104bn from the US while sending consumers four times as much back in return, is another reason for reassessing the assumption that the greatest opportunity lies outside the US.
This challenges the assumption that emerging markets will be a persistent source of higher returns for investors, without taking on higher risks.
I would like to think that the markets are starting to see that the US is a pretty stable place to invest. We have problems but only have to bring the political will back to solve many of them. Also there is an end in sight for our major foreign commitments. My views, of course, which will not meet with everyone's I'm sure -- sorry if I've tread on your views.

But you don't make money being too pessimistic. :)

Back
Top Bottom