Consideration for taking SS early

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never read the comments from those who have passed away between 62 and 70 and delayed SS…
Yes. I guess those were special situations.

You know, the ultimate special situation is your own. Stats aside, we each must make our own determination of what time is right, based on conditions on the ground. Because we can't eat statistical averages, nor will they extend your lifespan.

Simply put, standard advice is not real helpful given all the moving parts.

Currently I am deferring but not because pundits suggest it.

You never read the comments from those who have passed away between 62 and 70 and delayed SS…

Yep if it was not common the gov would not offer it - as their goal overall is to save money!

3 of my older relatives (parents, grands) died before 62 and got zilch.

Dying before age 62 stinks.
There's no way to optimize SS if you do that.
So don't do it...

Remember that one main purpose of SS is Old Age insurance.
So those who don't make it to Old Age haven't lost anything.
Same as if your house doesn't burn down.

Don't confuse SS with having a Million dollars in your investment accounts at age 60.
SS is mainly for those of us who advance into the DECREPITUDE of Old Age.
If you check out early then there's no decrepitude to be dealt with.
Simple...

Yep if it was not common the gov would not offer it - as their goal overall is to save money!

Wow! Where did the concept that the government's overall goal is to save money come from? I've seen no evidence of that.

Wow, now I see why we hate it so much when a new SS thread pops up!

Despite all of the round and round going on, there are some good points brought up (yes, it was you), if you can block out the extra noise.

The one thing that we can agree on is that there is no one size fits all solution.

Everyone's situation is a bit different. Since subject to WEP (retired Fed) with only a few years covered by SS, my monthly benefit is quite small (around $1000). Although I don't need the $ due to a pension that more than covers expenses, I opted to start mine at 65 to coincide with medicare. The monthly SS benefit is added to the investment pile. I'm single with no need for longevity insurance (above the federal pension) and no desire to do Roth conversions.

It doesn't really matter when you take SS for this reason alone.

You took it because at that moment, after careful research, you felt it was the best decision.

Time will tell if it was the optimum decision but if you live life like I do - no regrets - then it doesn't matter.

Life for me is much simpler without regret. It doesn't mean I don't learn from mistakes. I simply don't regret making whatever decision as I respect myself for making at the time what I believed was the best decision.

So it wasn't the best decision, oops, learn, accept whatever consequences, move on.

Life is way too short.

Last edited:
Wow! Where did the concept that the government's overall goal is to save money come from? I've seen no evidence of that.

I have only ever heard of the reason for it as a method to keep SS solvent longer. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom