Outstanding Podcasts

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It's on I-tunes, and it is called the History of Rome Podcast. 180 episodes, and extremely interesting. If the guy makes an error, a listener emails him and he makes a correction. Unfortunately, eventually I will have listened to all of these, as the history of Rome has been wrapped up for about 16 centuries.

I am also listening to another excellent one, this time with fair amount of humor, by a guy named Jamie who sounds American but says he is Welsh, and lives in Portland OR. He starts with what is known about prehistory in this region, then goes to on to the various invasions and wars and migrations. This one is ongoing. Current episodes deal with food and drink in the Anglo-Saxon period. It is named The British History Podcast, and like the History of Rome, it is free.

I use these to entertain me while rowing. But also, I am learning quite a bit. I think if one is interested in understanding politics, he might do far worse than to study Ancient Roman history. :)

When I finish it I may even look into a course at one of the local universities. In college I had a very cursory one semester course in the history of Greece and Rome, until the fall of the Western Empire in 476 CE. Since I was totally ignorant of the subject matter coming out of high school, I lot of it blew by me.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom