SmartMoney magazine ceases publication

lemming

Full time employment: Posting here.
Print media is shrinking again. There will be a digital version but no printed copy. I'm kind of sad. I like magazines to keep me off the web for at least some of the day.

I know when I pick up a copy of the Washington Post I see things that I didn't read online. Somehow my mind wanders before I finish a section of the paper. I read online more for the comments then the article.

I also prefer dealing with dead trees.

Has anyone heard what SM is going to do for subscribers? I had just renewed. :blush:

I don't subscribe to any printed magazines, because the ones I might want are so expensive.

We don't even have a daily dead tree newspaper in New Orleans any more. The Times-Picayune has shifted to just 3x per week, which has caused some dismay among local residents. They also gave out pink slips to most of their employees. IMO this is the beginning of the end for our newspaper.

Oh Brave New World. :(

I haven't seen anything in financial magazines that comes near the quality of information that you see here and other sites like bogleheads. Plus you don't get the entertainment value of seeing posters have at it :)

I also prefer dealing with dead trees.

Has anyone heard what SM is going to do for subscribers? I had just renewed. :blush:

On the last edition that got mailed out, they glued a postcard return offer on the front, you have until 9/30 to reply. You had a choice of:
1) WSJ weekend edition or
2) Barron's

If you already subscribed to either, they would extend your subscription length. If you don't reply, they will default you to Barron's. You can also call 800-444-4204.

I receive about a half dozen magizine each month for free. They are all financial indistry pubs and contain a bunch of ads, but I wonder how long they will be around due to the expense of publication. Some of the articles are quite good and I find myself tearing them out of the magazine before I donate them to the "free/used magazine" bin at the local library.

I am must the be kiss of death for magazines This is the third magazine in the last 15 or so years that I am quoted in that has gone out of business. One was an obscure engineering journal, another a financial publication that can't even remember and now Smartmoney.

I wonder if that NY Times reporter is still looking to interview single retirees how we plan for getting older. Killing the NY Times would be quite a coup. :)

Now all you data guys (like ERD50) please spare me any analysis.

Wonder how this form has survived...

Don't count your chickens. Actually I don't think I have ever killed off a forum, unless you count Compuserve or Prodigy dying.

On the last edition that got mailed out, they glued a postcard return offer on the front, you have until 9/30 to reply. You had a choice of:
1) WSJ weekend edition or
2) Barron's

If you already subscribed to either, they would extend your subscription length. If you don't reply, they will default you to Barron's. You can also call 800-444-4204.

I seem to recall that you could also call for a refund as well. I think I will probably give the Barron's a try as I am already a WSJ subscriber.

Just got the SM last issue with the tablet battery at 0%. Going to miss it. Been one of those weeks, we decided to cut back on the local newspaper since they raise the rate from $55 a quarter to $75. Then our favorite bakery got shut down. Oh well.

bssc said:
Just got the SM last issue with the tablet battery at 0%. Going to miss it. Been one of those weeks, we decided to cut back on the local newspaper since they raise the rate from $55 a quarter to $75. Then our favorite bakery got shut down. Oh well.

Got my last issue, too. No big deal, as I have 3 other mags I still get and probably don't get value from them either. But as far as newspaper goes, I would never tell them this, but they could double the cost of my daily newspaper and I would still purchase it. As far as enjoyment to cost ratio goes, it is still by far the most cheapest form of entertainment that I have.

My SM subscription was paid up for another 18 months.
I used to get Barron's and enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to getting another free 18 months of that as a replacement for SM.

The one that bugs me is the recent demise of the printed version of Wilson Quarterly. I had a lifetime subscription to it, which they won't honor. They said that was for the printed version, which no longer exists, so I'm just out of luck.

Fortunately, the digital WQ doesn't have a high subscription fee, so I'll keep reading it that way, on my iPad. Sure wouldn't like to be without it.

I had a lifetime subscription to it, which they won't honor. They said that was for the printed version, which no longer exists, so I'm just out of luck.
I can see that our lifetime subscriptions to the U.S. Naval Institute PROCEEDINGS and our alumni magazine are going to go that way.

The alumni magazine prints the class columns in two different fonts... a smaller font for the classes of about 1980-2012, and a bigger font for the classes before 1980.

I went with WJ Weekend as my replacement subscription. I've never read the weekend edition, so we'll see what it's like.

Back
Top Bottom