Blood Pressure and Yoga

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This kind of goes along with T Al's http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/blood-pressure-experiments-and-stategies-60360-5.html thread.

I did an interesting experiment this morning. I did a regular yoga session (self at home) ending with the recommended shavasana (corpse pose), and then I measured my blood pressure about 5 minutes after leaving my exercise room.

It was pretty low for me - 111/73, pulse 78. I am normally in the low 120s. I was kind of surprised as I hadn't seen a reading like that in a long time.

Then, 1 1/2 hours later, I decided to measure it again just for a lark. I had been sitting in my lounge chair doing some work on my computer.

It measured 103/67 with pulse 67. I don't think I've ever measured it that low! I thought this was an interesting outcome - especially a delayed drop. I was also surprised my pulse had gotten down that low.

I think I might start tracking BP on mornings I do yoga versus mornings I do something else. Interesting!

Audrey

I'll have to try that experiment myself.

This afternoon DW and I did a 60 minute yoga DVD session then I walked over to the exercise room to meet my son to do 30 minutes cardio and then play some pool.

I remembered to strap on my Pulsar HRM (following that recent thread). Since I was all relaxed from the yoga I decided to limit my speed on the elliptical trainer to 4 mph instead of 5 and I completed 2 miles instead of 2.5 in 30 minutes.

While wearing the HRM the machine picks it up, displays it and gives an average in the summary at the end. My HR was 68 bpm when I started and never got above 84, with the average over the 30 minutes of 72 bpm. I was still sweating and had to wipe my head with a towel a few times.

I feel sure the yoga ahead of time helped those low figures but now I'll have to do more monitoring.

I would think that the deep, controlled yoga breathing should be beneficial from a BP stand point.

I would think that the deep, controlled breathing accompanying yoga should be beneficial from a BP stand point.
Yep, supposed to be!

What really surprised me was the continued significant drop in BP 1.5 hours later.

Last edited:
I took my blood pressure this morning at the same time as yesterday - no exercise or yoga. It was 124/70, pulse 78. This is what I consider more or less "normal" for me in the morning.

Last edited:
I found an article on webmd describing a study that might be relevant:

Findings show that people who practice yoga and meditation at least three times a week may reduce their blood pressure pulse and -- most importantly -- their risk of heart disease.

Yoga Gets Hearts Healthy

Sounds very healthy!

DH does yoga a couple of times a week in a class situation and loves it. Not sure how it affects his BP as he's somewhat competitive about being able to do everything perfectly!

I'm not a big fan, but I did enjoy some classes with an Indian teacher who dispensed with the new age stuff and spiritualism (the part I'm not a big fan of but I understand why people like it) and actually made it fun with lots of laughing.

Fortunately, I never ran into yoga instructors or classes that focused on any new age spiritualism stuff. It was always pretty straightforward.

For folks starting out, I recommend looking for Hatha Yoga classes. That's the basic stuff - basic poses and basic breathing techniques. It's also slow and gradual. You move through a series of poses and finish with a quiet laying down meditation. There are lots of fancier forms of yoga out there, but the basic stuff is what delivers the health benefits.

By the way - Yoga is not just stretching. Many poses do help increase flexibility. But the focus is more on strength and balance. Many of the poses help build strength. Some poses are specific to improving balance. Working through a series of moving poses like sun salutations can get your body working pretty hard too and your pulse rate up - it certainly warms you up. I think the benefits on strength, balance and flexibility can be really important for people as they get older, since those are areas seniors tend to lose out on.

And finally, the breathing techniques themselves have shown to have major health benefits. Interestingly - recent research has shown success with reducing hot flushes experienced in menopause by adopting yoga-like controlled breathing techniques.

Last edited:
Fortunately, I never ran into yoga instructors or classes that focused on any new age spiritualism stuff. It was always pretty straightforward.

For folks starting out, I recommend looking for Hatha Yoga classes. That's the basic stuff - basic poses and basic breathing techniques. It's also slow and gradual. You move through a series of poses and finish with a quiet laying down meditation. There are lots of fancier forms of yoga out there, but the basic stuff is what delivers the health benefits.

By the way - Yoga is not just stretching. Many poses do help increase flexibility. But the focus is more on strength and balance. Many of the poses help build strength. Some poses are specific to improving balance. Working through a series of moving poses like sun salutations can get your body working pretty hard too and your pulse rate up - it certainly warms you up. I think the benefits on strength, balance and flexibility can be really important for people as they get older, since those are areas seniors tend to lose out on.

And finally, the breathing techniques themselves have shown to have major health benefits. Interestingly - recent research has shown success with reducing hot flushes experienced in menopause by adopting yoga-like controlled breathing techniques.

+1 good stuff

My apartment complex offers free yoga classes twice a week but I have yet to sign up. For now, I am just using the Wii Fit with balance board.

My usual Sunday 6 mile (easy) bicycle ride also lowered my BP this morning. 115/68 pulse 73

Audrey, does your yoga training involve slower than normal breathing?
There is a link between slower breathing and lower blood pressure (and it's one of non-pharmaceutical methods to reduce blood pressure)

Audrey, does your yoga training involve slower than normal breathing?
There is a link between slower breathing and lower blood pressure (and it's one of non-pharmaceutical methods to reduce blood pressure)
Yes. I definitely breath slower and deeper than normal. That is established right from the start of the session.

Audrey: I agree with others that yoga can have many health benefits. I used to take classes and found i always slept better those nights.

Can I ask about the routine you use? Do you use a book or DVD? I'm interested in getting back into yoga. Thanks

Can I ask about the routine you use? Do you use a book or DVD? I'm interested in getting back into yoga. Thanks
My routine is just what I learned from taking Hatha Yoga classes on and off for many years. Many yoga books recommend routines. The sequence of poses is important - i.e. some are supposed to be done early, others later.

The Yoga Zone series of Yoga DVDs are generally very good. I recommend the ones that have Alan Finger as the instructor, as these seem more traditional and his instruction is very clear. Yoga Zone Beginners: Premier Collection is excellent.

It's hard to do it on your own until you've had adequate personal instruction so that your body "knows" the poses. But once you take classes, practice doing some of the sequences on your own and you'll gain confidence in building your own routines.

Did yoga this morning, but blood pressure was not lower than normal. It was essentially the same as the 8-25 reading when I didn't have any early morning exercise.

However, about an hour and 15 minutes later, it had dropped to 100/67 pulse 68. I haven't been doing the hour or hour-and-a-half later tests on the non-yoga mornings.

Experiment continues.....

Last edited:
Do you think you stretched out your blood vessels? That can easily happen if you do something that raises your blood pressure temporarily such as running or a stress test. Suppose you stretch out blood vessels and lose lots of liquid by sweating. Both of these things will lower your blood pressure after the exercise.

Example: Take 2 new identical balloons. Blow one up without any pre-treatment. How hard was that? Take the other and make a water balloon at the faucet to stretch it out and then let all the water out. Now blow it up. Did it take less pressure to get it going?

Another example:
Drink lots of water until you have to pee, but don't pee. Hold it for 30 minutes. Take blood pressure. Now pee. Wait 30 minutes. Take blood pressure. Notice anything?

Last edited:
It took a little digging, but here is an explanation I found for why exercise would reduce blood pressure immediately (afterwards). Most health articles say exercise strengthening the heart is the reason for longer term blood pressure improvement, but don't explain the immediate effects.

How Does Exercise Lower Blood Pressure?

Exercise reduces resistance in arteries so that blood can flow more freely. When you work out, blood flows more rapidly through your arteries. The shearing force of this increased movement stimulates cells along the inner walls of blood vessels called endothelial cells to produce a gas-like substance called nitric oxide. Nitric oxide expands and opens up blood vessels and reduces the resistance to blood flow. This lowers blood pressure.

Nitric oxide also explains why exercise lowers the risk of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. Once nitric oxide is produced, it’s stored in the heart and blood vessels in the form of nitrites, so it can be quickly converted back to nitric oxide. When you stop exercising, you lose this protection within a month of stopping and you’ll likely see your blood pressure go back up.

from Cathe Friedrich - How Does Exercise Lower Blood Pressure?

Today I did my usual Wednesday 10 mile bike ride. This ride is a little more challenging, because there is a series of ups and downs (nothing super steep) but since I only have 3 gears ;) I have to do sprints to get enough momentum not to lose it all at the top of a grade. It gets pretty aerobic.

My BP about 15 mins afterwards was 116/76, and pulse was still a little elevated at 91. This seemed like a pretty normal "post exercise" reading.

I took my BP again almost 2 hours later, and it had dropped to 106/70, pulse 72!

Conclusion: morning exercise lowers my BP in the morning, sometimes as much as 20mm Hg below my "normal" morning reading. The effect seems to last for several hours.

I have taken my morning BP often enough over the years to know that I don't otherwise get readings below 115/whatever and certainly not below 110/whatever, so it must be the morning exercise.

Last edited:
On mornings I don't cycle or walk early in the morning, I will do yoga! :D

Back
Top Bottom