136 days

67walkon

Recycles dryer sheets
It is sort of official that I'm out of here as of April 1, 2013. It was a hard thing to make the final decision, but the time was right and I'm 63, so it isn't exactly super early. I'll miss the people but not the petty stuff.

Everybody asks "what will you do" or "won't you be bored". They seem confused, maybe concerned, that my brain will turn to mush or something. Funny, those thoughts have never occurred to me.

Now I'm struggling with motivation. I wouldn't mind moving it up to January 1, but I'm a responsible adult and all that stuff. But boy is it hard to fight the day to day battles most small businesses struggle with when you know you don't really have to.

And as an added bonus, a piece of property my wife inherited might get sold much sooner than we planned. I treat it as a liability because the taxes are about $6,000 a year and don't even include it in cash flow retirement planning. Somebody made a verbal offer on it today at a price higher than what I thought we could get down the road. It will make a nice addition to the retirement kitty.

So now I'm on countdown! 136 calendar days until my last day of work, but who's counting?

Congratulations! Enjoy your last days since you'll never have that experience again.
All the best.

If your mark is April 1, then I guess my countdown is 105 days [March 1]! Here's t a quick passing-of-the-time for both of us!

....Now I'm struggling with motivation. I wouldn't mind moving it up to January 1, but I'm a responsible adult and all that stuff. But boy is it hard to fight the day to day battles most small businesses struggle with when you know you don't really have to....

Congratulations.

I hear you on the motivation. I fixed my retirement date for 30 June, 2013 and the slide in my motivation started at about the same time. I'll do the necessary between now and then, but holding my hand up for the extra is more or less a thing of the past.

If your mark is April 1, then I guess my countdown is 105 days [March 1]! Here's t a quick passing-of-the-time for both of us!

You guys must be working weekends and holidays.

The 6 months between my decision to leave and my actual leaving were the longest 6 months of my life. As you said, you want to be a responsible adult and you want to leave on good terms. There is nothing you can do but suck it up and persevere. On the plus side . . . I no longer brought work home with me in the evenings and weekends (actual or in my head). My stress levels went way down. Boredom went up a little.

Congratulations!

Enjoy these next few months - - you are getting closer each day! :D :dance:

I can really relate to the "motivation comment". Been there, done that! Once I made my announcement to retire, very little new work came my way (not unexpected) I "seriously" struggled with the question to retire or not for about 2 years before I actually did it. No regrets so far, other than I probably should have retired 6 to 12 months sooner.

Back
Top Bottom