Vanguard ?

As you probably know from surfing this forum, it depends on your target AA and all that stuff. But....it is hard to go wrong with Vanguard Wellesley, Wellington or Star funds. Just pick one.

Tell us about your asset allocation plan and the rest of your portfolio. Then we can tell you what to put in your Roth so that it helps to fulfill your asset allocation plan and fits in with the rest of your portfolio.

What does Vanguard suggest?

Just now contemplating next year's contributions to Roths.

Really depends on your age and asset allocation. Are you almost retired, or 35? Makes a big difference.

I read someplace (many years ago) that STAR was created specifically with IRAs in mind. We had had our IRAs in it even before that, and have no complaints. :D

Tyro

I read someplace (many years ago) that STAR was created specifically with IRAs in mind. We had had our IRAs in it even before that, and have no complaints. :D

Tyro
We are 59, my husband plans to retire in two years and wife plans in 3-4 years. We have a 403b set up that is somewhat low volatile so what I would like to do is to take our roth more aggressive

I'm almost 55 (next month) & wife is 52. We both have Roth IRA's with Vanguard, & both are in Target Retirement 2015 funds. I believe we're up around 7.5% this year.

They don't make suggestions for the most part, you tell them which fund you want.
That's not entirely correct. While they're not stock pickers/traders, and it's subject to account balances (from low cost to free), they do Portfolio Reviews and will suggest specific funds, I've done it with them. And they will make an initial recommendation for an investor just starting out...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 7
Hard to find a problem with Wellington (VWELX) or Wellesley (VWINX) as they are balanced funds and should be a good fit with most Asset Allocation models. I own both.

I 'll wait until the end of the year to do the final calculation, but I am surprised that, for the year, my Fidelity IRA account, that holds mostly Fidelity mutual funds, had done better than the Vanguard Funds I have in my Vanguard account.

We are 59, my husband plans to retire in two years and wife plans in 3-4 years. We have a 403b set up that is somewhat low volatile so what I would like to do is to take our roth more aggressive

I set up a roth...what fund to put the money into? I only have about 8500

We retired in 2010 and have our IRA's in target 2010 funds. But that's just us.

That's not entirely correct. While they're not stock pickers/traders, and it's subject to account balances (from low cost to free), they do Portfolio Reviews and will suggest specific funds, I've done it with them. And they will make an initial recommendation for an investor just starting out...

Everybody does that in the MF industry, not just VG. What I meant to say is there is no a person/financial consultant making recommendations over the phone. Most people that work in customer service at VG are not licensed. They are truly DIY, that is their business model. If you have a large amount of assets, you get access to a salaried CFP.

Back
Top Bottom