Germinid Meteor Shower tonight

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Don't catch a cold while watching the GERMinids.:LOL:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

The Geminids can be quite spectacular. I recall being out with my telescope a number of years ago with my astronomy club buddies and none of us had remembered. We started noticing quite a few fast meteors and eventually we gave up our previous observing plans (galaxy clusters for me, I'm sure as usual) and sat back in our chairs until sunrise. I vividly remember seeing around one meteor per minute towards dawn. Quite a good memory.

We stayed up and even braved the (mildly) cold weather, but it was just too cloudy. We'll try again tonight.

I've never watched these before, just too darn cold. But I was out late last night, I think I saw one just as I was driving home, tough to say.

So I did stay out for ~ 10 minutes, since it was fairly mild, was pretty clear here, plenty of stars. But no meteors, and 10 minutes was all I could give it.

-ERD50

We stayed up and even braved the (mildly) cold weather, but it was just too cloudy. We'll try again tonight.

I have so many floaters that I've never been able to detect a shooting star so we won't stay up to see them. We're staying in downtown overnight so we won't be able to see the regular stars with all the bright lights.

So keep us posted if you see some!

I watched for a few minutes around 4 AM Friday, but saw no meteors.

We had a decent show here in northern VA. Wife and I went out in the backyard to check it out at about 10pm est. We saw several within a 20 minute period, but it was getting chilly out.

We have a hot tub so temperature was not a problem. Saw two good good ones on Wed night, about midnite, then went out from 12:30 to 2 AM Thur nite/early Fri morning (the 'peak time') and saw nothing!

Back
Top Bottom