Economical Paris Hotel?

MovingtotheCove

Recycles dryer sheets
Daughter and companions are travelling to Paris for 4 days in July from London. Any affordable and safe hotels in the city center to suggest. This is a budget trip but don't want hostel. Thanks for any input.

We lived in Paris for several years. The St Andre (above) is a good choice. You could also check out the Hotel Cayre (Blvd Raspaille) and the Hotel Madison (St Germain de Pres). Both are small, funky, in the heart of things (6th arr) and not overly expensive.

Anything in Paris downtown will not be really cheap however...it's all relative!

DW and I stayed here 2 years ago. Near the Arc de Triomphe and convenient to direct bus to/from CDG airport. Reasonable rates, friendly staff, but very small room.
Acacias-Etoile

I'd also like to know of an economical hotel with single rooms in or near at The Marais. I checked some of the places I used to stay and they are now 200-300 Euros!

We stayed here twice and think is it a very good value: Hotel du Champ de Mars

This hotel is in the Rue Cler district and is an easy walk to the Eiffel Tower. There are reasonably priced cafe's and restaurants nearby. See the Rick Steve's Paris book for details on the Rue Cler and all of Paris. Also check out the reviews at TripAdvisor.

This is really the best site for Europe vacation rentals/hotels and reviews. Slow Travel France - vacation rentals, reviews, hotels, restaurants, travel information
They also have very active forums, especially for Italy.

We stayed here in Paris
Charming...maybe, but..., Reviews of 11th Arrondissement Bastille vacation apartment 3186 on HomeAway

Seconding the suggestion to check out SlowTrav/SlowTalk. They are to travel, what this site is to finance and retirement planning. Lots of good advice for a variety of budgets, great reviews (including a few by me.) Very encouraging of do-it-yourself traveling (vs package tours) the way this site is about do it yourself vs financial managers

FWIW - I stayed in a place right on the Seine, across from the Louvre, years ago... it was small and funky - but a good value back then. It had a FABULOUS location. Cross the river to the Louvre, head in one direction hit Musee d'Orsay, the other direction and hit Notre Dame.
Quai Voltaire Hotel *** - OFFICIAL SITE - Rooms

Mind you this was more than a decade ago - the pluses - location, budget, amazing views, etc.
Negatives - no AC, and being on the river, barges tend to be noisy at night. Bathroom was beyond small... but that's pretty typical in Europe.

I'd stay here again.

Hotels in Paris are expensive but not as expensive as those in London.

Paris is small, and consequently cheap and easy to get about. You could consider one of the cheap and cheerful French chains such as Formule 1 (bathroom down the hall), Etap (now rebranded as "Ibis Budget"), Première Classe, etc. Ultra-basic accommodations, and probably situated near an uninspiring shopping area or office complex, but a triple room can be had for not much more than 60-70 Euros in the inner commuter belt area, and if it's close to an RER station, it's not long or expensive to get downtown.

I like the Sofitel hotel brand very much when I go back to Paris for a few days.
I don't think that's in the price range of kids on a budget trip who are looking for something a little above a hostel. The cheapest double room at the Sofitel Arc de Triomphe in July is about $480 per night.

There are cheaper Sofitels than the Arc de Triomphe one :).
I don't think that's in the price range of kids on a budget trip who are looking for something a little above a hostel. The cheapest double room at the Sofitel Arc de Triomphe in July is about $480 per night.

There are also cheaper hotels next to Gare du Nord, a few stops on the RER to the airport. I stayed there a few times also.

A few years ago I had an overnight connection in Paris (CDG). I stayed one night at the airport Sheraton. When I arrived from Toronto at ~6 am I was able to go directly to my room and crash for a few hours. I awoke refreshed at ~11 am and headed into the city on the RER, returning at ~9 pm. (I didn't quite have the stamina to go to the opera as I had hoped!). After a full night's sleep I flew onwards the next morning.

My French is passable but I found CDG a very confusing airport. I wandered into the Air France area, which is much more modern than the digs allotted to other airlines.

The airport hotel would not be suitable for several days but it has its place.

I'd also like to know of an economical hotel with single rooms in or near at The Marais. I checked some of the places I used to stay and they are now 200-300 Euros!
Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the 4th near St. Paul Metro. It's a steal for the quality & location, but it's not a secret, so it's normally fully booked months in advance. They have 2 or 3 very small single rooms. The double rooms with one bed are a reasonable size, and some of the rooms with 2 double beds are downright huge (for Paris).

I used to know 2 other good cheapies in the 3rd & 4th, but both renovated, got themselves a third star, and doubled their prices.

Ibis hotels are a good bargain in Europe - Motel 6-ish, but usually clean.

Back
Top Bottom