done today with full-time banking.

Fly Fisher

Confused about dryer sheets
Today is my last day in full-time corporate banking. I was very pleased to stumble upon this site of like-minded folks. I appreciate any insight you may have. I’m 48 and will be leaving to do part-time contract work (banking and seasonal tax prep) on a glide path towards full retirement in a few years. DW is 52 and will retire in early September of this year. We have accumulated $750k in taxable investments and $825k in retirement accounts. We have no mortgage and no kids. I plan to use funds within an HSA account to pay cobra insurance premiums for 18mos. After that period we’ll buy private health insurance on the new exchanges. We recently sold a real estate property to our business partner on a contract, which will provide $20k/year for 10 years. We will also receive $200k from a family business over the next 5 years, which will be added to taxable investments. With this income and my part-time employment we should cover most of our expenses without tapping investments before I fully retire. Our annual expenses run $60k. FIRE Calc works out to 100%.
I can’t wait to start the next chapter. We lost my father last summer and I’ve lived ~ 2k miles from family for 22 years. Losing Dad was a sobering reminder that life doesn’t wait while you’re considering making a move. So DW and I are moving back to my home state to be closer to family and life-long friends. We’re very excited about the move despite all the work of selling/buying houses, etc. I look forward to sharing more and learning from you good folks as the year progresses.

Heartiest congratulations!
:greetings10:

Looks like you're embarking on phase one of your greatest adventure.
:dance:

Welcome aboard. Sounds like a solid plan. I'd ask what you plan to do in retirement, but your chosen forum handle speaks to that. Nicely done...:whistle:

Thanks all for the replies. Yep, I'll be doing more fishing this summer than I've done in decades. Three months in MT June - Aug while DW is still working. I'll be in charge of cooking, cleaning and grilling when not fishing 😀.

Welcome! It sounds like you have a great summer planned. No issue about what to do all day at all.

Great Plan....Another Banker here and I understand. It's not as much fun anymore. Get out while you can. Best of luck and enjoy the fishin'

Thx for the hearty welcome. Good to hear from several other bankers. I wish you all well. First day w/out banking and we're driving to Sun Valley to x ctry ski for 5 days. This will be the longest ski trip I've taken with my DW. Day one of many more to come.

Thx for the hearty welcome. Good to hear from several other bankers. I wish you all well. First day w/out banking and we're driving to Sun Valley to x ctry ski for 5 days. This will be the longest ski trip I've taken with my DW. Day one of many more to come.
Sounds like fun. Do enjoy, hope it is one of many.

Back
Top Bottom