Poll: Wellesley Where?

Where do you place Wellesley?

• Wellesley is more than 5% of my AA, more in taxable accounts than not.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Wellesley is more than 5% of my AA, more in sheltered/tax deferred accounts.

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • I have 5% or less in Wellesley.

Votes: 66 59.5%

• Total voters
Maybe you should have added a zero %... because the choice given looks like I might have some in there...

I thought you meant the town in MA! My daughter studied there... :facepalm:
I have not even heard of the Wellesley that you have in mind :blush:

Wellesley is approx. 20% of my AA and is all in my ROTH.

While I think highly of the Wellesley fund and most of my assets are with Vanguard, my focus is more on the index funds because I find it easier to allocate my assets to my taxable, tax-deferred and tax-free accounts in a tax efficient manner with index funds than with a mix of balanced and index funds.

If I included a balanced fund in my portfolio I would probably lean more towards Wellington than Wellesley as Wellington's AA is more to my liking.

Wellesley is 65% of DWs IRA, about 20% of our portfolio. It has worked well for her. I would hold it in taxable after retirement if drawing down assets for living. Actually adding to Wellington right now as it has a higher % equities.

"5% or less..."

I know that is the answer that I would use, but that implies that I might have something... which I do not...

I think most of the people who vote 5% or less will be 0%.....

I know that is the answer that I would use, but that implies that I might have something... which I do not...

I think most of the people who vote 5% or less will be 0%.....
As intended...I wasn't looking for how much Wellesley folks own. That might be another poll.

Last edited:
I bought Wellesley as a bond replacement. It's part of the FI side of the portfolio. The yield is better than bond funds and I'm ok with a little principal volatility.

Target is 15% of AA in tax sheltered accounts.

I don't own Wellesley. If this poll had been about Wellington instead, I would be right on the borderline of 5%, all of it in tax sheltered accounts.

I'm into my 3rd year of ER and the dividends and cap gains distributed from from my after-tax Wellesley make up the expenses shortfall from my non-COLA pension.

If it was in my before-tax account all distributions would be taxed as regular income. I haven't done anything useful like calculate any actual tax figures, it just seemed a simple thing to do when we sold our house and switched to rented apartments just prior to actually retiring.

If Wellesley was available for my HSA, I'd use that for my HSA. But since that isn't I have Wellington for my HSA.

I do have a teenie-tiny amount in Wellesley so when all the Pssst conversation happens, I don't feel left out :).

We have less than 5% in Wellesley, and what we have is largely in IRAs, with funds we've rolled over in our efforts to be somewhat less conservative.

We did put a bit into a non-tax-deferred account, <$4k, just because I want to see how a mutual fund behaves when it kicks off whatever it kicks off at year end. You can tell me, but it won't stick until it's MY money and I SEE it!

Last edited:
15% Wellington; 15% Wellesley. The way they fluctuate with the market, they seem to balance out/stabilize this part of my IRA. The gains and dividends also grow the IRA..........part of my attempt to stay ahead of inflation.

They're both balanced funds with low fees. I'm waiting for a "market correction" so I can build these to 25%/25% of the IRA (but at a lower price than they are costing today).

Wellesley comprises 30% of our combined IRA accounts. I'm a bit concerned about having that much in one fund, but at a loss for a better place.

I am 100% in equities. I have been wary of the bond risks with rising interest rates. That said, I am looking for a chance to move to a balanced allocation. I am getting to enough.

BTW: I started a new j*b last week. Day hours is harder than numbers.
Pssst.. What is it with leaking tires and Wellesley, anyway? Is this another of those dryer sheet things?

I have about 33% of my liquid NW in Wellesley. I started investing in 1987 and ER'd at the end of 2002. I've done some just for fun calculations and have found that just investing in a 50/50 split Wellsi/Welltn would have done better than my slicing and dicing by about 1% per year over that period ( I had as many as 30 funds at one time about 15 years ago!). But now I don't want to go any higher on an actively managed fund. Unfortunately the Vanguard index funds that have a similar stock/bond split haven't done as well as Wellsi so the dilemma persists if not Wellsi, then what?

Wellesley Fund

I have ~20% of my IRA in Wellesley Fund. I am very concerned what will happen if Interest rate start going up? Any thoughts on this question will be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom