Mini bonds for low risk investment?

volfan

Recycles dryer sheets
New poster--thanks for bearing with me. :cool: Santee Cooper is offering SC residents mini-bonds (fed and state tax free) during the month of April. Last spring I had $10k in inherited municipal bonds called that had been earning 5-6% tax free and now it has been parked at the bank earning .45%. I am looking for a low risk investment to make some $$ on it, but really don't want to be too risky. CD rates are ridiculously low. Thought about the Vanguard Wellesley income fund but would need to know more. We have "other cash" that is not making much for us, so this is my start to try and remedy that issue. Figured I'd try to do something with this former muni bond money that will protect the original investment but produce some income for us now and into the future. These bonds are $200 each for capital appreciation or $500 each for interest bearing, which is what I was considering so I can invest the interest during the next few years when we don't need it.
We are early 50s but I am hoping to retire ASAP and spouse in 4-5 years. We will have pensions, after taxes and health insurance, of approximately $3600. May have part-time income and will eventually withdrawal from our IRAs that are invested 60/40 stocks to bonds. SS whenever the current law says we can have it and what makes the most sense to us.
Here is the link to their current rates
https://www.santeecooper.com/portal...nvestor_relations/minibond_sale/interestrates
Any opinions on if this is a decent investment or other ways we can invest this money to provide income would be appreciated! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom