Cervical cancer test using vinegar.

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Of interest to women a low cost test was reported on. Story from the Associated Press.

News from The Associated Press

Excerpt:
"MUMBAI, India (AP) -- A simple vinegar test slashed cervical cancer death rates by one-third in a remarkable study of 150,000 women in the slums of India, where the disease is the top cancer killer of women.
Doctors reported the results Sunday at a cancer conference in Chicago."

I had a SIL who died as result of misdiagnosis of Cervical cancer. Hope this test will save others.

Interesting. The article gives some cultural info as well - one woman thought they had stolen her kidney after being examined with a speculum!

I have been doing these in Central America for the last few years. Works great and women are happy that the test is free.

From what I picked up, this test is low cost, but not as effective as the higher cost tests currently done in 1st world (and maybe 2nd) countries.

So a very good thing for getting some testing done in poor areas and saving lives, but it doesn't seem to have any significance for those in areas with better health care already in place.

-ERD50

I think it is fascinating and would love to see data comparing the vinegar test using an experienced evaluator to the PAP. Even if it is less reliable than a PAP it is better than nothing. What concerns me is what happens when probable cancer is identified, can the patient afford treatment.

To answer your comments, Brat :

1. unfortunately I do not have enough data points with VIA / acetic acid to confirm the findings of the study. I only go to Central America a few weeks per year and I guess thousands of patients' results are needed for large scale, reliable results;

2. I totally agree that VIA is way better than nothing. That's why I provide these services in other countries. I would love to be able to do it here too for undocumented / uninsured patients who are too afraid to go to clinics but it's not possible (yet).

3. when pre-cancerous lesions are seen, I always refer for follow up. However, many women who live in those remote places I go to don't even have a car; therefore going to the big city for cryotherapy / biopsy / colposcopy etc. is a real challenge for them. However, a few women will take a bus and go for follow ups. In some cases, I have given cash for them to get on a bus and go.

I am sorry to say that a minority of women only will follow my recommendations and get the money for follow ups. Many women will ignore the test results when positive, but at least they know.

I think it is fascinating and would love to see data comparing the vinegar test using an experienced evaluator to the PAP. Even if it is less reliable than a PAP it is better than nothing. What concerns me is what happens when probable cancer is identified, can the patient afford treatment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom