23andMe personal genetic testing

I have met a lot of "REAL MTHFR's" in my life, but this is the first time I've heard they had a gene for this!

It's natural to read MTHFR as a curse word... I know I do. Especially when you read about the symptoms and issues... it really is a MTHFR.

We also got FreeToCanoe's email from 23andMe

Here is what my genealogy group is recommending sending to potential matches:
Last Chance: 23andMe is changing their website.

This is the last chance to see your anonymous DNA matches or invite them to share genomes. On Nov 11 all outstanding invitations to anonymous matches will be cancelled and they will no longer be able to participate in DNA Relatives. If you currently use a nickname for your account it will be changed to anonymous so use your real name.

I recommend that you opt into DNA Relatives and Open Sharing so you can see which DNA segments you share with matches. People will not be required to opt into Open Sharing in order to see each other’s matching HIRs. You can send sharing requests to people who opt into DNA Relatives, but who don’t opt into Open Sharing. If they accept sharing then you can see the matching segments.

I hope you will choose to share genomes with me as we are a match.

For more information see the following blog: Time to send your last 23andme invitations | Kitty Cooper's Blog

According the their blog, 23andme has been authorized by the FDA to resume some of the genetic tests they stopped performing in 2015. https://blog.23andme.com/news/good-news-about-health-reports/
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted 23andMe authorization to offer ten genetic health risk reports including late-onset Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, celiac disease, and a condition associated with harmful blood clots.
According to the blog, they will begin making the new test results available later in April.

I was one of the early 23andme members (over 4 years ago) so I had access to the reports from the start.

Interestingly, I've made contact with several long-lost and unknown relatives through 23andme. One first cousin, a couple of second cousins, and several third cousins.

Pretty interesting to see how genealogical lines spread out through time.

Has anyone used more than one testing company? I'm wondering if the results are the same or similar. There are a number of family and friends that like to talk about their heritage based on these tests. I'm curious if the tests are accurate or just something fun to do and talk about.

Has anyone used more than one testing company? I'm wondering if the results are the same or similar. There are a number of family and friends that like to talk about their heritage based on these tests. I'm curious if the tests are accurate or just something fun to do and talk about.
I don't know but I was suspicious when mine came back part Beagle and part Golden Retriever.

I don't know but I was suspicious when mine came back part Beagle and part Golden Retriever.

What, they were barking up the wrong family tree?

Tongue in cheek - the one associated at one time with Nat Geo now places me in Northern Sweden - my family has no known Swedes. 91% RMI whatever that means.

More humor - One the Wife's cousins now retired did it the old fashioned way and physically found the family farm/windmill in Sweden of her Mother's side of the family.

:D The windmill DOES NOT match the picture (? years old) she grew up with as representing the family farm back Sweden. Round not octagonal.

heh heh heh - I shall remain in the now and loosely hold written/photo evidence. Let genetics march on. I'd hate to take the medical one and find out after 22 years of ER I'm not really here. :facepalm: ;)

This reminds me....

A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I attended one of those free financial planner's dinners. We only went as it was at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. :LOL: We ended up sharing a table with a couple in their late 50s, originally from CT. He had retired at 43 and they moved full-time to Florida. Anyhoo, we were chatting over dinner and the wife mentioned that she'd done DNA testing on their "pound pooch" as she was curious as to the dog's mix.

A bit later we were chatting about travel. I mentioned I was heading off to Europe in May to visit my cousin, the one who I had found through DNA testing. The wife looked all confused, asking me all sorts of questions about the test, etc...until her hubby said, "Honey, just like you did for the dog." :facepalm:

omni

Back
Top Bottom