spider web expert? - funky pattern

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here is what I captured yesterday of some strange formation of a spider web... Is this by a mutated spider or some spiders make those hip patterns in this modern day and age?

I hope you can see it.

Attachments

• spiderweb.JPG
    spiderweb.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 48
That spider is an Argiope spider and I never saw any web like the one the op pictured. If you notice in your picture of the Argiope the criss cross pattern that is unique to them. They look wick dangerous but are not though I wouldn't pick one up!

Thank you very much for your posts!

Argiope spider it is! I checked out the images of the spider and the web patterns, and it gave me the willies big time. They are some kind of scary ugly looking things!!!

He was going at it again today since I took the first photo yesterday - This photo also shows zigzag patterns, but they are single threaded. I imagine by tomorrow, they will be double threaded like the first photo I took. (You may have to enlarge this... the web pattern is on the right side of the vertical pole.)

Thank you very much for your posts!

Argiope spider it is! I checked out the images of the spider and the web patterns, and it gave me the willies big time. They are some kind of scary ugly looking things!!!

He was going at it again today since I took the first photo yesterday - This photo also shows zigzag patterns, but they are single threaded. I imagine by tomorrow, they will be double threaded like the first photo I took. (You may have to enlarge this... the web pattern is on the right side of the vertical pole.)

Have you seen the argiope spider weaving the web? Any photos? I'm not saying you're wrong it just I have seen a lot of argiope spider webs but I never saw one like that, it is quite interesting. They are beautiful but kinda creepy at the same time. Any long legged spider whose legs taper to a point give me the willies!

Around 1971 I presented a literary based seminar on drug effects on web-building spiders. I don't recall the scientist who conducted the actual research but the spider used was Araneus diadimatus that would consistantly weave the same web construction of radiating strands with concentric circles each day. It has been about 40 years but I recall two of the results that were particularly interesting at the time. When given LSD the web showed no appreciable change in pattern but when given caffeine it looked like a cob-web.

Maybe this spider had an extra latte that morning.

Cheers!

Have you seen the argiope spider weaving the web? Any photos? I'm not saying you're wrong it just I have seen a lot of argiope spider webs but I never saw one like that, it is quite interesting. They are beautiful but kinda creepy at the same time. Any long legged spider whose legs taper to a point give me the willies!
No, I haven't seen the spider yet, so it's possible it's some other spider, I guess. If I do see the spider, I will definitely take a photo and post it here. Thank you!

Around 1971 I presented a literary based seminar on drug effects on web-building spiders. I don't recall the scientist who conducted the actual research but the spider used was Araneus diadimatus that would consistantly weave the same web construction of radiating strands with concentric circles each day. It has been about 40 years but I recall two of the results that were particularly interesting at the time. When given LSD the web showed no appreciable change in pattern but when given caffeine it looked like a cob-web.

Maybe this spider had an extra latte that morning.

Cheers!

Wow, you are like Grisom on CSI.

Great op if you can get a picture.

I remember that caffeine study on spider web building but I wasn't sure what to make of it. Spiders wouldn't drink coffee (unless inside a Starbucks :rolleyes:) any more than I'd eat poison ivy. Now goats and pigs love to eat poison ivy and aren't bothered by it. Sometimes I think the gubmint might be spending our money unwisely but hey I've been wrong before ya know. :facepalm:

OMG I just noticed I passed 1000 posts, I missed seeing the 1k mark. I now will be getting paid by the post so expect to hear a lot of drivel in the coming weeks and months. ;^)

Last edited:
Around 1971 I presented a literary based seminar on drug effects on web-building spiders. I don't recall the scientist who conducted the actual research....

Um... perchance was it... LEARY? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom