Now illegal to own a computer in Florida

gozer

Recycles dryer sheets
Since it is now appears to be illegal to own a computer in Florida, did everyone from Florida disappear from the forum? :facepalm:

Yahoo!

I just got down to FL today. I'm heading out to Dave and Buster's to play before they get put out of business.

And I guess I'm writing this comment on an illegal device, and using another illegal device (smartphone as wireless hotspot) for the networking.

I'm curious. Who has the dumbest legislators, FL, NY, or IL? We need a poll.

I just got down to FL today. I'm heading out to Dave and Buster's to play before they get put out of business.

And I guess I'm writing this comment on an illegal device, and using another illegal device (smartphone as wireless hotspot) for the networking.

2 counts huh. Maybe you will get lucky and they will let you serve your time concurrently.

I'm still trying to get my mind around what the heck this "Internet Cafe" stuff is and why they needed to be banned.

I just thought it was a place you could go to use the Internet - like a coffee shop.

So they have morphed into gambling dens over the past decade?

Last edited:
I'm still trying to get my mind around what the heck this "Internet Cafe" stuff is and why they needed to be banned.

I just thought it was a place you could go to use the Internet - like a coffee shop.

Reading the lawsuit, it does sounds like they have rows of internet-ready computers available for an hourly fee. Like a coffee shop.

The rest of the details, however, make it sound like their "sweepstakes" screens are really some sort of gambling game.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/files/internet-cafe-complaint.pdf

This just seems pretty disturbing. Florida kind of always leave me scratching my head. From election recounts to banning computers. I'm sort of curious if people are getting a little bit too much sun over there.

Last edited:
It seems they did not actually ban computers, but the people they did shut down filed a suit saying the law is to broad and could be applied to any computer.

Since it is now appears to be illegal to own a computer in Florida, did everyone from Florida disappear from the forum? :facepalm:

Yahoo!

Sounds like another poorly written law.

Post here on ER as your show of 'civil disobedience' ;)

So they have morphed into gambling dens over the past decade?

There was a big raid earlier in the year on "allied veterans" essentially a chain of supposedly internet cafes. Essentially they were illegal gaming establishments.

Undercover slot machines expert to be key witness in Allied Vets probe - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

It seems they did not actually ban computers, but the people they did shut down filed a suit saying the law is to broad and could be applied to any computer.

I'm familiar with the shutting down of the illegal internet cafes, many of which were here in the Tampa area. Guess what group of people were the most pi$$ed off about this activity being taken away from them. Retirees!
I think retirees are running out of things to do, even in Florida.

The legislators we have here in Arizona would give any state legislators a run for their money in a competition for the dumbest.

Come to Hong Kong. The Legislative Council is currently voting down any and all proposals to extend the city's rubbish dumps without offering any alternatives. The existing landfills will be full by 2018. I am just glad that we do not have full democracy here.

Florida has the most enterprising criminals, it seems. Florida is also the place that had (has?) pain clinics run by doctors that were actually centers for prescription abuse. So it is right in line that they would have computer centers that are really fronts for illegal gambling. I wonder what will be next from this group?

Back
Top Bottom