Hi from Florida

HGTVfan

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi everyone. I've been lurking off and on and finally decided to join.

I retired at age 55 after a 30-year career in journalism. It was my choice to retire but honestly journalism is a very difficult career right now so who knows if I'd have a job now if I had decided to stay. I am now 59. I stay busy reading, gardening, doing household projects, getting together with friends for coffee and dinner and helping my elderly mother.

I am comfortable financially because I've always been a saver but I still watch my pennies and I consider myself a smart shopper. I have never had any regrets about retiring.

Good for you! Being an HG TV fan, you're not planning to start flipping houses, are you?!

Welcome, glad to have you aboard! I used to be an HGTV fan when they had more programs that focused on DIY home repairs, remodeling and landscaping how-to tips. Now the programming seems to be more focused on drama and less on the details of a project. I mean how many people need to get their kitchen remodeled in one evening while they are out to dinner?

Welcome, glad to have you aboard! I used to be an HGTV fan when they had more programs that focused on DIY home repairs, remodeling and landscaping how-to tips. Now the programming seems to be more focused on drama and less on the details of a project. I mean how many people need to get their kitchen remodeled in one evening while they are out to dinner?

I keep waiting for the day I come home from dinner and my kitchen has been remodeled!

Welcome, HGTVfan! :)

Whenever I'm in Home Depot and someone asks me if I need help, I immediately give them my address and a proposed landscaping plan--trouble is, the guy asking is generally just a Home Depot worker.:blush:

Hi and welcome!

DW and I enjoy House Hunters International and a few other HgTV shows but I agree with the earlier poster that the channel has gotten to much into the competition and fabricated "reality drama" (and with Food Network, TLC, History Channel, etc).

Welcome!

HGTV is my default channel. I turn to it when I can't find anything else among my multitude of cable channels, which in truth is every evening. My favorite programs are House Hunters International, Property Virgins, and Love It or List It (with David and Hillary).

Like others, I wish HGTV would "freshen" their offerings (too many reruns!) and get back to some of the earlier DIY concepts (not that I'm a DIY'er).

I plan to retire from my government social services job next summer after I turn 60 so maybe I will undertake some home projects. First on my list is declutter!

I enjoyed This Old House for years on PBS then moved over to HGTV for a number of years. Now I'm back to TOH for the reasons you mentioned. Apparently the massives like the drama. Otherwise they wouldn't do it, but it's not for me. It's not just HGTV, The Golf Channel and other networks have moved towards more fluff in an attempt to come up with something new.

But soon I will be dumping cable and going to free TV(10 channels in my area) and Netflix. Kind of like going home again. ;)

Hi - I am also in Florida and I also watch HGTV a lot. I like Love It or List It a lot, but seriously - does Hillary ever get a house to do that isn't full of "gotchas" ?

Congratulations on your early retirement ! I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Back
Top Bottom