Mr. John_Q_Public

John_Q_Public

Dryer sheet wannabe
As posted earlier in "Milestones," this year marks thirty years with the Vanguard Group of Valley Forge, Pa. After retiring in my early fifties with pensions that allowed me,us, to continue investing in our taxable portfolio, I did finally do what I was to cheap to have done earlier in my investing career. I " payed" good money for professional investment advise from a Vanguard Analyst. I made the investment buck$ back within weeks by getting out of sector funds, taxable high yield bond funds too , and transitioned into index funds, plus one long term tax exempt fund. That was in mid 1996.
I continue investing today (AIP and RMD)in six stock index funds, one of which is tax managed and two are international. Plus several bond index, and 2 managed bond funds.
Being of modest means and even less formal education (I joined the Marines at age sixteen) I knew I would never make big money during my working years. I decided to take my eighth grade math teachers advice and, with the first paycheck, " always pay yourself first because nobody else will" , Did exactly that. I used to own individual stocks until , thanks to J. Bogle books, I came to realize how risky they are for small investors , and switched to mutuals.
Reside in a 5 star CCRC after a $300k entrance fee. No bills, new Acura MDX each 3 years. Six week HGVC villa on Marco Is. In mid winter. Vanguard Flagship member.

Last edited:
Good for you! As I recall eighth grade, I was paying more attention to the cute blonde girl sitting in front of me than the math teacher....

Girls?

No girls Racy, it was an all boys school, as in " bad" boys school,......:greetings10:

Thank you for your service. Are you in the V.F area? Or is your relationship with Vanguard the reason for the name. Either one makes me hungry for 'real food'.
MRG

Back
Top Bottom