Mighty Mouse

racy

Full time employment: Posting here.
I like to keep a container of peanuts under the seat of my pickup. A couple of days ago I found the plastic lid had been chewed through; a mouse had gotten in them! So, I threw out the peanuts, got some more and put them in a tin canister (the kind with a friction fitting lid). The next day I found the lid pried off! So, had to toss out those peanuts... Next time I refilled the canister I put 2 strong rubber bands around it. The next morning I found the rubber bands chewed through and the lid pried off! Damn, this is getting expensive.
I put a trap in the truck (baited with peanut butter of course) and caught the culprit. I'm trying a glass jar with a metal lid next. Wish me luck.

had a similar issue. Also found that the mouse had built nesting material on top of the engine and chewed through the cabin air filter to get in to the passenger area. Actually caught 2 of them using the peanut butter traps

"Here I come to save the day........which means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!!!"----Sorry, guess I watched this cartoon too much when I was a kid. (Now I'll probably have that darn song rattling around in my head for a couple of weeks.)

That was one enterprising mouse! You caught him or her, but what about the family? I would be inspecting my entire truck, and the garage too. And I would stop leaving peanuts in the truck!

Wow, that was a tenacious little mouse going after your snacks! It's amazing what they can chew through. My dad keeps a noise maker going in the building where he parks his pickup because if he doesn't then the critters set up their home in the engine compartment.

The video wasn't mine but I did have a mouse try to steal a chocolate chip cookie. The mouse was tiny (8 grams) and the cookie was probably close to 30 grams. It would have succeeded except the cookie got stuck in the oven burners.

We caught two mice in two days in our kitchen. They were small and cute, and may have had plans to start a family. They are the first mice we've had inside this house in the 9+ years we've lived here.

Caught them live and resettled them outside. I'm embarrassed to say I set them up with some chow and bedding to give them a good start in their new locale. It's still getting down below freezing at night here.

We caught two mice in two days in our kitchen. They were small and cute, and may have had plans to start a family. They are the first mice we've had inside this house in the 9+ years we've lived here.

Caught them live and resettled them outside. I'm embarrassed to say I set them up with some chow and bedding to give them a good start in their new locale. It's still getting down below freezing at night here.

How far away did you setup their new camp? They are both probably back in your kitchen already working on those family plans ;).

In a previous life, I rented a room from a friend who had a house next to a corn field. Every fall, the mice would come a-looking for warmer digs. So Friend resolved to rid the house of the interlopers, and set mousetraps all over.

One evening, friend and girlfriend were watching TV, and I was about to head out when we heard a SNAP! come from the kitchen. Friend excitedly arose, went to the kitchen, retrieved from under the cabinet a trap containing a mouse flailing his last, and held it up for all to regard. The girl left quickly; he never understood why...

My current house came complete with a vibrant mouse/vole population (outside), and at least two large resident rattlesnakes.
The snakes were well mannered so welcome to stay, the rodents OTOH quickly invaded the garage including both vehicles. After blocking their entrance with steel wool, I trapped at least 10 mice inside and more than thirty outside. I don't know how many the snakes got.
Today things are back in balance and I have not seen a snake in several years. :)

I've caught mice before with those glue traps, and they work pretty well. But the best results I ever had was one of those electric traps.

I had mice infest my house when I lived in Colorado, and it was horrible. They had chewed the rubber gasket at the bottom of the garage door, and gotten in. The home builder had failed to seal some crack in the garage wall, and they slipped in there and got into the rest of the house. I sealed the crack up with foam sealant, and put down an electric trap in the garage, and one in the house.

I was catching at least two a day for over a week. The electric traps are nice because it instantly electrocutes them, and you don't have a wriggling mouse in a glue trap to worry about. Just dump them out, reset it, and put it down again.

For anybody who has a mouse problem, I'd heartily recommend an electric trap. I couldn't believe it worked as well as it did.

That's adorable. :D
We had mice in the forestry service office where I worked while in college. My soft-hearted boss found two of them in the big metal trash can and relocated them in the woods out back. I still smile thinking of his knowing I wouldn't want them harmed. When I left, he gave me a can of tree-marking paint with a little porcelain mouse glued to the top--the best going away present I've ever gotten from a job.

Back
Top Bottom