I'm Sixty Today!

MikeD

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was blessed with diabetes at age 6. I had a life expectancy of about 45. At 42 and very close to death, I got a kidney and pancreas transplant and have been happily doing great ever since.

The combination of diabetes and transplant drugs gave me vascular dementia which severely affected my short term memory in that I have great difficulty learning new things. Testing revealed that I learn at one quarter the rate I used to. That's not fast enough to keep a job as a real time programmer. I went out on disability at age 45.

So I am living a happy life free from work but getting ever closer to being dead. This is the first birthday that ever bothered me.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to be here. My only regret is I miss my beloved dog/daughter Emily Ann, the black lab. I can't get another dog due to fear of going through this pain again. She passed away five years ago and I am still not over her. She was our only child.

We are leaving for twelve days of vacation in Ft Myers, Fl tomorrow. Eight days of fun and four days of driving. We do nature related stuff and eat a lot and go to spring training games. This year's are Yankees vs Red Sox and Twins vs Nationals.

Still happily here after 18 years of transplant life,
Mike D.

Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your story!

Good time to be going south. See some humming birds for me.

Happy birthday, you youngster! I am 65 and have been enjoying life in my sixties a lot. I hope to be around for a long, long time.

I have been working hard at the gym since my retirement at age 61 1/2, trying to lessen the rate of physical decline. Regular time at the gym seems to work really well for that and makes me feel younger.

Have fun at Ft. Myers! If you walk the beaches, or walk a lot when doing the nature related stuff, then that is a lot of great exercise too.

I know you miss Emily Ann a lot, and I hope your memories and photos are a comfort. I miss having a dog too, but I am just not ready for one.

Congrats on being 60! May you make 95!

I have two dogs who are getting "up there," and, being otherwise childless, they are my two kids. I am trying to look on the bright side -- that they have had a long and happy life and provided a ton of joy -- but I think I will miss them terribly when they move on to doggy heaven. So I can feel where you are coming from. But even though you miss her terribly, at least you had the privilege of having her trot through your house and bark at the squirrels in your yard. Nothing like a dog....

So I am living a happy life free from work but getting ever closer to being dead. This is the first birthday that ever bothered me.

Birthdays are great... We wake up every morning and celebrate life. :dance:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

MikeD

Happy 60th Birthday.

From a 67 yo 7 yr pancreatic cancer survivor. I'm one of the 5% who make it 5 yrs. I' living with half a pancreas and have to take Metformin to control my diabetes.

So I am living a happy life free from work but getting ever closer to being dead. This is the first birthday that ever bothered me. <snip>

We are leaving for twelve days of vacation in Ft Myers, Fl tomorrow. Eight days of fun and four days of driving. We do nature related stuff and eat a lot and go to spring training games. This year's are Yankees vs Red Sox and Twins vs Nationals.

Mike D.

I would imagine that at least 1/3 of us are getting even closer to being dead. But, I'm glad you're alive and going to spring training--it's truly one of the most fun things in the world to do--if you're a baseball fan. I would also imagine that Yankees-Red Sox is one tough ticket to come by.

How come your 60th bothers you?

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS!!!

Happy Birthday and thanks for sharing that. Gave me some much needed perspective. Enjoy the vacation.

Mike,

Happy B-day and wishing you many more to come. Enjoy Florida and some baseball!

Happy Birthday, MikeD…..you are an inspiration!

quote_img.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by redduck
I would imagine that at least 1/3 of us are getting even closer to being dead."

REWahoo;1425838 said:
Make that all of us...:D
:)

I thought it would be comforting to some if I rounded down.

Last edited:
I was blessed with diabetes at age 6. I had a life expectancy of about 45. At 42 and very close to death, I got a kidney and pancreas transplant and have been happily doing great ever since.

The combination of diabetes and transplant drugs gave me vascular dementia which severely affected my short term memory in that I have great difficulty learning new things. Testing revealed that I learn at one quarter the rate I used to. That's not fast enough to keep a job as a real time programmer. I went out on disability at age 45.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to be here. My only regret is I miss my beloved dog/daughter Emily Ann, the black lab. I can't get another dog due to fear of going through this pain again. She passed away five years ago and I am still not over her. She was our only child.

Mike D.

Happy Birthday and I hope you enjoy many, many more. My aunt had brittle type 1 and lived to 77! She had health issues but enjoyed her grand kids and sons company until her last days.

We too lost our dog babies, one lived nearly to 18! I hesitated to getting another one but my DH convinced me to get one. Then he came home with a rescue that adopted us. The sweetest friends you will ever have. Emily Ann would want you have another dog in the pack.

You realize more than most...how great life can be. This could happen to any one of us, too. Or cancer. Right now. I do believe each of us has a path in life that unfolds as we live it. And not necessarily random. Your story is inspiring.

That's why being retired and free is so important. Most people don't get it.

I am 56. My 50th hit me the way 60 did you. And I understand.

Back
Top Bottom