Echo Boomers & Immigration will save us (Boomers)?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As bad as the U.S. demographics look, things are worse in much of the world. The U.S. has fewer residents over 65, as a share of its population, than most developed countries, and the disparity will only grow in coming decades. In 2050, about 21 percent of the U.S. population will be 65 or older compared to more than 30 percent in much of Western Europe and an incredible 40 percent in Japan. China, as a result of its “one child” policy, faces its own, somewhat different, demographic crisis.

Note China surpassing the US in "dependency."

Any question this won't force delaying retirements and/or reduced public benefits all over the world?

What Baby Boomers’ Retirement Means For the U.S. Economy | FiveThirtyEight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
So time to buy into a 55+ condo complex and beat the rush? :)

I sure hope plenty of the echo boomers become alzheimer researchers given the % of 85 plus people slated to remain around in the future [chart from census].

I have always believed that the echos would salvage the residential real estate market to some degree given all the noise heard about boomers having to sell cheap due to lack of demand as they transition to rest homes or maintenance pods somewhere. How that actually plays out will be worth watching.

Immigration is the US hole card both for brains and demographic balancing to some degree. The US is still a very attractive place for people everywhere.

But as we know, no one will miss us dang boomers when we're gone...:D

Increasing over 65 by another 50% doesn't seem like a good thing. That's a lot of dependency. We're having trouble paying for SS & Medicare now.

Now if retirement age is raised to 70 or 72 such that those between that & 65 take care of themselves, perhaps the problem is manageable.

Increasing over 65 by another 50% doesn't seem like a good thing. That's a lot of dependency. We're having trouble paying for SS & Medicare now.

We need to figure out the easiest and cheapest ways of luring boomers into camps and euthanizing them if they can't provide labor worth more than it costs to feed and house them.

Well, you know with boomers, nothing is easy or cheap. Might be better to just pay them to stay out of the way.

We need to figure out the easiest and cheapest ways of luring boomers into camps and euthanizing them if they can't provide labor worth more than it costs to feed and house them.
Oh, come on! They figured this out way back in 1973, surely you remember.

Soylent Green.

:)

IMO. A lot of suburbia will depopulate. Our boomer, mcmansions will be white elephants because echo'ers will not need the house or yard or previously sunk costs.

IMO. A lot of suburbia will depopulate. Our boomer, mcmansions will be white elephants because echo'ers will not need the house or yard or previously sunk costs.
You might be right, but there are convincing arguments on both sides. Urban residential is already expensive, and seemingly getting more so, pricing suburbanites out. More reasonable urban units have considerably higher incidence of crimes, and often sketchier schools. And energy costs/shortages were expected to drive the flight from the suburbs - before fracking radically changed the outlook. It'll be interesting to watch...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom