Celebrating one year of FIRE

BobW

Dryer sheet wannabe
First of all thanks for all the good info that is posted here. I have been reading EarlyRetirement.org for a couple of years now, and through your many posts, I gained the knowledge and confidence to retire last year.

DW and I live in the Pacific Northwest and both worked for a Megacorp in the aerospace industry. We are lucky that we both are getting a pension (non-cola) and our health insurance is currently only $40 per month, although we don't have dental coverage. We are currently able to get by with a withdrawal rate from savings of about 1%, and still live a comfortable lifestyle.

I'm 57 and DW is 60. We have no human children, but have a 14 year old dog. We both like vegetable gardening and have turned our back yard into a small farm. We like traveling around the northwest, especially places where we can bring the dog. I also enjoy hiking, backpacking and photography. We have been doing some volunteer work such as tutoring at our local library and I've been working with an organization that does trail maintenance. Also, I'm blessed to still have both my parents, and have been able to spend much more time with them during the past year. A lot of people warned me that I would be quickly bored during retirement, but I'm happy to report that has not been the case.

I will probably have questions in the future about some things I'm not clear on regarding Roth IRAs, withdrawal strategies, etc. Also hope to contribute to the forum in the future.

Thanks again,
Bob

Congrats on a successfully retirement. Sounds like your previous employer's name rhymed with "owning" :)

If your expenses are around 1% then you're set for a long long time, even without the COLA on a pension. Might be time to think about some travel. If you have someone who can care for the fur children.

Congrats on your first year. I retired 4 years ago and am from the Pacific Northwest also. No where is there more beauty than here. Keep enjoying your retirement! I haven't ever gotten bored yet either. Wonder what it will feel like when I get time to be bored.

Looks like you had smooth sailing into ER, Congrats!

sounds like you have a very lovely life. and i agree that dogs are kind of like children. congratulations.

Welcome. I envy your current situation. Enjoy. You seem to have it under control. This site will help you tweak thongs.

Welcome! Most of us around here think that retirement gets even better after the first year, so enjoy!

First of all thanks for all the good info that is posted here. I have been reading EarlyRetirement.org for a couple of years now, and through your many posts, I gained the knowledge and confidence to retire last year.

DW and I live in the Pacific Northwest and both worked for a Megacorp in the aerospace industry. We are lucky that we both are getting a pension (non-cola) and our health insurance is currently only $40 per month, although we don't have dental coverage. We are currently able to get by with a withdrawal rate from savings of about 1%, and still live a comfortable lifestyle.

I'm 57 and DW is 60. We have no human children, but have a 14 year old dog. We both like vegetable gardening and have turned our back yard into a small farm. We like traveling around the northwest, especially places where we can bring the dog. I also enjoy hiking, backpacking and photography. We have been doing some volunteer work such as tutoring at our local library and I've been working with an organization that does trail maintenance. Also, I'm blessed to still have both my parents, and have been able to spend much more time with them during the past year. A lot of people warned me that I would be quickly bored during retirement, but I'm happy to report that has not been the case.

I will probably have questions in the future about some things I'm not clear on regarding Roth IRAs, withdrawal strategies, etc. Also hope to contribute to the forum in the future.

Thanks again,
Bob

I work for the same megacorp and am hoping that $20 a month retiree medical is still around when I ER. I'm 53.5 now and coming up on 30 years at the company.

My FN planner person says I could do it at 55 if I take the accelerated pension option but my "gut" says 57 is much more realistic. 1% WR is fantastic.

Congrats and keep posting. I have yet to figure out our VIP_401K options in regards to leaving it in the plan, rolling part or all of it to an IRA, etc, etc. I want to avoid the 72t version since we can withdraw at 55 without the 10% penalty.

I feel blessed to have the DB pension plan but as u know it will be "frozen" for us in Jan of 2016. Cheers.

.... A lot of people warned me that I would be quickly bored during retirement, but I'm happy to report that has not been the case....

+1 I have been very surprised how this former Type A is very content puttering around, doing little projects here and there, playing golf regularly and taking occasional naps.

Back
Top Bottom