Online bank recommendations?

movaly1

Dryer sheet aficionado
I need to find an online bank to use. What I most want: no-fees for any ATM withdrawals, reimbursement of fees charged by ATMs of other banks, no fee for withdrawal of foreign currency (Euros) at foreign locations, easy way to deposit checks. A decent interest rate would be nice but rates are so low right now I'm not sure it really matters. Any recommendations?

I use Capital One 360 online (formerly ING bank). No ATM fees IF you use an Allpoint branded terminal. Deposits can be made by mail but I use a phone app to snap pictures of check front and back and is pretty painless. Current rates are competitive (0.75% on savings; checking depends upon balance). There are no fees.

They state "If you use your Card for a foreign transaction (any transaction made in a foreign currency or that MasterCard classifies as a cross-border transaction), we won't charge you anything." I've only done this in the UK.

I use Ally for online savings. They pay .87% interest, which is about as high as I could find. I do not use them for ATM services though. I keep a local Bank of America checking account for that. There are no fees for their account, I get free checks, and I can find a Bank of America ATM on just about every corner, so no charge for ATM withdrawals as long as I use one of their ATMs.

I suppose it would be nice to find an online bank that also has free ATM services regardless of whose brand of ATM machine you use. I would think that if you found one though, the tradeoff would be lower interest rates, and I'd rather have the best of both by using two different accounts.

If you have a Schwab account, their credit/debit card has no ATM fees no matter where you withdraw from (or they reimburse you for them), and no foreign transaction fees. They also have mobile check deposit.

Last edited:
Schwab Banking is very good. They charge no fees for any machine at all and they reimburse you for any fees the ATM bank charges you. I do what Ready suggests, all ATM needs are processed through any ATM terminal and my cash is in Ally, Everbank, and CIT. When the Schwab funds get low I just go online and move money from one of those places to Schwab.

Fidelity has a cash management account with free any ATM use. Not sure about the foreign withdrawals. The usual low interest rate. I use Ally and Sally Mae for cash I don't need for a short time.

I also use Schwab, mainly for the reimbursement of all fees for ATM cash withdrawals when travelling outside the US.

Last edited:
We have AMEX savings. Good rate and no fees. Not sure about the ATM as we just use credit union (which is linked via ACH to Amex both directions).

We opened a Schwab brokerage today. It is linked to "High Yield" checking account. I went to a local office to get this rolling, and now can access online.

Reimbursement of ATM fees and no money conversion costs is a really nice feature.

Back
Top Bottom