Five Years of FIRE

RockyMtn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today is the fifth anniversary of my retirement. :D I couldn't be happier with how it has gone so far. Thanks to all on this forum who helped make the transition a smooth one!

Congratulations! Was it scary, at first, retiring at that time, what with the Great Recession and all?

Congrats, RockyMtn, and welcome to our 5-year ER club. I ERed in late 2008 when the markets were crashing and while it was a little scary at the time, that down market provided me with a huge buying opportunity to pick up shares of a bond fund at rock(y) bottom prices which gave a nice boost to my ER plan.

Congratulations! Was it scary, at first, retiring at that time, what with the Great Recession and all?

A bit scary. Smartest (and gutsiest) thing I did though was just hold the course and actually added to positions with final stock option cash payout.

A bit scary. Smartest (and gutsiest) thing I did though was just hold the course and actually added to positions with final stock option cash payout.

In hindsight it was perfect timing and incredibly smart rebalancing. Genius!

Thanks for the kind words.

Someone asked me what I have been doing with all my time. One example...I have logged 2881 miles walking golf courses in Colorado and Arizona the last five years.

Congratulations. It was a good time to retire, I hope the next five years see similar growth in the S&P500 as the past 5 years.

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I'm sure that you are the envy of many of your friends, relatives and neighbors.

That's wonderful! More happy years to come!

I'm 4 months into retirement......my net worth is now 5% more than when I ERed and more importantly my after tax accounts have more in them even after taking out income. In today's market it's easy to ER, but I'm sure there will be some downs in the future.

Thanks for the kind words.

Someone asked me what I have been doing with all my time. One example...I have logged 2881 miles walking golf courses in Colorado and Arizona the last five years.

Do you have a list of those courses you are walking? One of my big aggravations is trying to arrange vacation golf and being told I have to take a cart. I just move on to the next course on my list, but it would be very helpful if courses would be more upfront about walking.

BTW, I'll be in CO in a couple of weeks and looking for places to play near Denver and along I-70 east toward KS.

Off topic, but clearly important to you.

Do you have a list of those courses you are walking? One of my big aggravations is trying to arrange vacation golf and being told I have to take a cart. I just move on to the next course on my list, but it would be very helpful if courses would be more upfront about walking.

BTW, I'll be in CO in a couple of weeks and looking for places to play near Denver and along I-70 east toward KS.

Off topic, but clearly important to you.

The courses in Denver and Scottsdale that I play are both private. In Denver area there are a number of places that are public that allow walking. Try Fox Hollow, Green Valley Ranch, City Park, Wellshire, Riverdale Dunes, Fossil Trace to name a few.

Hit em straight!

Back
Top Bottom