What would you do? - broken dishwasher

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The Maytag dishwasher in our home was installed in 2008 and has stopped responding to the control touchpad. The owner's manual was no help.

Service calls in our area run $130-$140 for the call itself.

Mr. A. wants to skip the repair step and replace the dishwasher. A new one, installed, would run about $750.00.

We got an offer from Maytag for a repair/replace agreement for 2 years for $274.95. Meaning, if they can't fix the dishwasher, they'll replace it.

Meanwhile, we are seriously thinking about putting our house on the market next Spring. But it would probably take a year to sell.

What would you do in our situation? Repair? Replace? Buy the insurance and then call in the repair person?

Thanks,

Amethyst

I have a Maytag that I just removed from one of my rentals. The same thing happened. It is a 2009 or 20010 model, maybe even newer. A new circuit board would be $120, plus install.

I bought a new Maytag from HD, a special buy sale, for $298. With a steam clean option. Probably a $500 unit normal price.

Dishwashers are a disposable item. Buy a new one. Install it yourself in ~30 minutes, save at least $200.

But it would probably take a year to sell
There has never been a problem selling homes, it's pricing them right that is the issue.

I agree with Senator; I just replaced mine, I figured it would be a waste of time and $$ to get it repaired and then have it break again. Just my opinion.

I'd buy something other than Maytag...they've gone downhill over time.

No offense, but "oh, just install it yourself, I do it all the time" doesn't work for us. We couldn't even lift the durn thing. Let alone dispose of the old one. Our situation is probably different from some.

I carefully researched the cost of replacement. If it were possible to do it cheaper, and get the same quality/color, I would do it.

Amethyst

I have a Maytag that I just removed from one of my rentals. The same thing happened. It is a 2009 or 20010 model, maybe even newer. A new circuit board would be $120, plus install.

I bought a new Maytag from HD, a special buy sale, for $298. With a steam clean option. Probably a $500 unit normal price.

Dishwashers are a disposable item. Buy a new one. Install it yourself in ~30 minutes, save at least $200.

There has never been a problem selling homes, it's pricing them right that is the issue.

Thank you for that truism. Our house appeals greatly to the "right" people and not very much to the general herd. So it is a matter of patiently waiting for the "right" person, who can also afford the house, versus giving away the house to get rid of it in a hurry.

Real estate agents just sigh when it comes to pulling "comparables" for our house. It is a very mixed area.

Amethyst

I agree...our previous Maytag dishwasher lasted 18 years. But I wonder what appliance HASN'T gone downhill. We just replaced our microwave after 5 years, when the previous one lived to be 25!

Amethyst

I'd buy something other than Maytag...they've gone downhill over time.

You can buy a nice dishwasher for less than $750......installed. I'd check Home Depot, they sell many brands and many times have exclusive models that cost less than comparable models at other retailers. We bought GE appliances that had the same features BUT wasn't called the same model and saved over 20% on replacing all the appliances in our new kitchen. Recently we had to replace a microwave......a new one, installed, cost less than the repair on the old one.

No offense, but "oh, just install it yourself, I do it all the time" doesn't work for us. We couldn't even lift the durn thing. Let alone dispose of the old one. Our situation is probably different from some..

If you have a local plumber or handyman that you use for home maintenance issues that are beyond your expertise, they should be able to install it and take the old one away. It really is a very simple install - I removed and reinstalled DD's when we did some renovations on her condo - just a water, electrical and drain connection.

Since you are going to sell, I would replace rather than repair if you can find one that matches up with your other appliances that will be staying.

They really are easy to install, and surprisingly light. If you were staying int he house and wanted to do the install yourself, I'd recommend replacing it.

Still, if you really don't want to mess with it, in that situation I would probably take Maytag up on their insurance offer. It's less money than a new dishwasher, and you'll be guaranteed of having a working unit if you sell within the next two years.

No offense, but "oh, just install it yourself, I do it all the time" doesn't work for us. We couldn't even lift the durn thing. Let alone dispose of the old one. Our situation is probably different from some.

I carefully researched the cost of replacement. If it were possible to do it cheaper, and get the same quality/color, I would do it.

Amethyst

Give me your address, I'll come install it for you free of charge. :)

Mike

The insurance deal doesn't appeal to me, but I can see how it might to others.

I am no genius, but before replacing it, I'd look for info online and try to fix it myself.

May sound crazy, but think about it - if the alternative is replacement, it doesn't matter if you damage the old dishwasher and worst case you might learn something.

Exactly what I did with my clothes washer almost two years ago http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/i-fixed-my-washing-machine-ta-dah-63496.html. Found a youtube video, took it apart and found it was a coupling that had failed - cost $23, and could have had the part for less than $10 if I'd been willing to order online!!! No special tools need and needless to say I was thrilled, and she's still purring along after almost two years. The appliance parts guy I bought the part from said 'if I just don't overload the old washer, it could last for a long, long time - unlike a new one from any brand.' Having lifted the motor and gearbox out of it, I can attest to how beefy it is.

If you can't find a video or website you're comfortable with, at least you tried.

Don't know if you are Mr. A are up for it, but you have nothing to lose IMO.

Best of luck...

Last edited:
We replaced our dishwasher with a Bosch maybe 5 years ago. It still looks like new and runs very quietly.

Just replaced our 17 year old double oven yesterday when the repair versus buy decision was $700 versus $3000 (+ added convection feature).

It's a tough decision if you are not sure about staying in the house. If there is a chance you will stay, buy a quality dishwasher.

What would you do in our situation? Repair? Replace? Buy the insurance and then call in the repair person?

What would I do? I'd just replace it with something you like. It's one of those irregular big expenses which we all expect to come along now and then. I'd have the replacement delivered and installed, and the old one carted off. Problem Solved.

A brand new dishwasher might be a selling point if you put it on the market. I have heard a lot of good things about the Bosch that Lsbcal mentioned.

Last edited:
Is anyone else outraged that appliances only last 5 years (or less) these days? :(

I've heard so many stories about the electronics going out (not the mechanics) and it costing hundreds just to install a new board.

Where are all these "replaced" appliances going? Does somebody at least salvage the metal and other materials?

Are consumers just willing to put up with this state of affairs? :mad: And don't even get me started on poor quality fabric in clothes. I guess most people don't mind using things for a short period of time and then throwing them away. sigh.

I recently had to buy a washer and dryer for a duplex rental I was moving to. Oh how I wish I still had my 1981 Maytag washer, which for 30 years only needed a new belt.

Thanks for listening. :)

If my dish washer broke I would start looking for a new DW. No just kidding!

Would order new one from Costco and install myself (or you can pay someone to install should be cheap).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Mr. Pack - you and I often think alike. I did, in fact, go right to You-tube and try various suggestions in videos. Alas, none of them worked. (Because we hadn't decided whether to call in a repairman, we didn't want to really get in there, take stuff apart and maybe ruin something).

Amethyst

The insurance deal doesn't appeal to me, but I can see how it might to others.

I am no genius, but before replacing it, I'd look for info online and try to fix it myself.

May sound crazy, but think about it - if the alternative is replacement, it doesn't matter if you damage the old dishwasher and worst case you might learn something.

Exactly what I did with my clothes washer almost two years ago http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/i-fixed-my-washing-machine-ta-dah-63496.html. Found a youtube video, took it apart and found it was a coupling that had failed - cost $23, and could have had the part for less than $10 if I'd been willing to order online!!! No special tools need and needless to say I was thrilled, and she's still purring along after almost two years. The appliance parts guy I bought the part from said 'if I just don't overload the old washer, it could last for a long, long time - unlike a new one from any brand.' Having lifted the motor and gearbox out of it, I can attest to how beefy it is.

If you can't find a video or website you're comfortable with, at least you tried.

Don't know if you are Mr. A are up for it, but you have nothing to lose IMO.

Best of luck...

Haw, haw! We have two dishwashers in the house, but one keeps forgetting to drain the dishes before drying them, so all the dishtowels are always wet!:LOL:

No service provided by a human is cheap in our neck of the woods.

Amethyst

If my dish washer broke I would start looking for a new DW. No just kidding!

... A new one, installed, would run about $750.00 ...

As you do not do your own install, just pay that money and have it done.

Just earlier this week, I paid 2x that to have the freaking pool pump replaced. It hurt like crazy, but if algae starts turning the pool into a pond, it hurts even more.

It's all about "price points." If appliances still were made to the standards which allowed them to last 25 years, dishwashers probably would cost $5,000.00 and people would start investing in towels, dish drainers, and elbow grease, just like when I was little.

Amethyst

Is anyone else outraged that appliances only last 5 years (or less) these days? :(

Mr. Pack - you and I often think alike. I did, in fact, go right to You-tube and try various suggestions in videos. Alas, none of them worked. (Because we hadn't decided whether to call in a repairman, we didn't want to really get in there, take stuff apart and maybe ruin something).

Amethyst
You're way ahead of me, no surprise. I'd replace it then.

It is too bad that we seemingly can't buy better appliances these days even at a premium. I am usually much more interested in value/lifetime cost than cheapest purchase price (usually not the best value). When we researched kitchen appliances last year for our kitchen remodel, there didn't seem to be any correlation between price and reliability. To my surprise, many of the costly "upscale" appliance brands fared worse in terms of reliability than the commodity appliance brands according to Consumer Reports.

Though since you plan to sell your home, understandably you'll want to keep spending down.

Last edited:
Do you know WHY it stopped working? Are you getting any Error Codes?

I have a top of the line Electrolux that was not very old ( 3 years maybe). Last year it stopped working. Would not turn on and displayed an Error Code 1 = Water leak. Called my service guy. He confirmed no standing water anywhere and said he couldn't fix it. He said, I would have to buy a new circuit board, etc. and suggested I buy a new one. I was pissed as this thing was like $1,200 dollars or more.
I called the Electrolux technical department. She walked me thru a few steps. Take off metal plate from bottom, confirm "water leak" light is on. Put a fan in front of it, dry out the sensor. I was shocked when after a couple of hours of blowing air under it, it worked! I've had to do this a couple of more times since. I'm just a regular homeowner.

It may be worth a call to Maytag technical service if you have been able to trouble shoot it and if you have not already done so. Chances are they have run across the issue before.

Last edited:

I've heard so many stories about the electronics going out (not the mechanics) and it costing hundreds just to install a new board.
That was our problem with the double oven. How many companies keep PC boards at low prices for 17 years? And tech moves on. Our new Kitchen Aid oven has some nice features like better interior lighting, easy cleaning interior, better electronics organization, etc.

BTW, if you use the self cleaning feature it is best to only use it sparingly as that is a good way to age the electronics. Electromigration in electronics is a well understood topic but not so easy to design for, I think. Our new oven has a fan just for cooling the PC board.
Where are all these "replaced" appliances going? Does somebody at least salvage the metal and other materials?
I asked the install guy and he said the oven was going to a local metal company that took it apart and reclaimed materials.

Back
Top Bottom