"hi, call me"

I came late to texting. While I got my first cell phone in 1995, it was one of those clunky Motorola ones where you had to tap the right combination of numbers for every letter. I found that a PITA. However, I remember visiting Ireland in the late 90s and seeing my 20 something relatives all texting away at a furious speed. I don't know how they did it. The Blackberry keyboard is what got me started on texting. I do not find screen only phones to be as ergonomic, so I do most of my texting from my iPad.

Have you noticed that people are opting to text when it is faster to call? DW usually calls the person after a several round of instant texting. I love that about her.

Have you noticed that people are opting to text when it is faster to call? DW usually calls the person after a several round of instant texting. I love that about her.

Back when email first came out, my company instituted a 'rule' of sorts that after 3-4 back and forths on email, "pick up the phone".

Back when email first came out, my company instituted a 'rule' of sorts that after 3-4 back and forths on email, "pick up the phone".

It's a good rule that I use often. A lot of careers & working relationships are lost due to badly formed/exchanged e-mails, ill timed reply alls, and forwards without one's consent. People don't realize how damaging e-mail can be.

I do this with my son, often. Much faster to get the info out of a middle schooler if you actually use your MOM voice.

I do this with my son, often. Much faster to get the info out of a middle schooler if you actually use your MOM voice.

Is that the voice from Dune or more like a Jedi voice accompanied by a handwave? "You don't need to text and drive, my padawan." :D

Back in my w*rking days, I used to return mystery phone calls by leaving a message like this:

"Hi, this is braumeister with another round of Telephone Tag. This is one of my pet peeves, so either call or email me with a message that tells me what's up, or else a time when I'm sure you'll answer your phone."

This worked 99% of the time.

I never returned a call, unless the message included the subject or topic. And always hung up on anyone talking to me on a speakerphone.

I never returned a call, unless the message included the subject or topic. And always hung up on anyone talking to me on a speakerphone.

Great! You reminded me of another favorite thing from my w*rking days. I had a neighbor in the next cube who decided to use her speakerphone instead of picking up the handset. Since she had the volume up high, it was an instant distraction to everyone in the vicinity.

After a couple of days of this, I walked around and stood next to her, where I said in a loud voice "Hey Mary, I don't mind you using the speakerphone, but would you please stop all the farting?"

She never did it again. :LOL:

I screen most of my calls with a message to that effect and if they don't leave a message with why I should call back I tell them I won't. I figure if it was really important they would leave a message otherwise I don't care either.

Too many people don't seem to have any phone manners.

Cheers!

You people still use phones? That's so 2010. :)

All my voicemails go straight to email and get transcribed by google voice. If it's unable to translate, it's probably my MIL saying "call me back" and trying to get in touch with DW. Otherwise most people I know speak English well enough for me to decipher the message without having to listen to it.

+1 on the "call me back" irritation. I thing I'd do 1 go round of phone tag before I gave up. When I call I always leave a reason for the call. It takes 2-5 seconds and lets the recipient gauge the priority ("my house is on fire!"=immediate, "let's figure out a time for next year's family vacation"=important, but not urgent at all).

Back
Top Bottom