You Are Only 10% Human

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
...if you count number of cells. Bacterial cells in and on us outnumber human cells by far.

There's a study that is in an area of science that I think is the start of "something big" in understanding human health: understanding the human microbiota.

The BioFrontiers Institute at the University of Colorado has released preliminary results from over six thousand people that donated $99 each. That paper compares the crowd-sourced study (AGP-American Gut Project) a government study costing $173 million :facepalm: (HMP-Human Microbiome Project). The biggest take-away for me was just how different each of our microbiomes are.

The gut is a complex ecosystem, far more like a rainforest than a desert. Additionally, every person has a different mix of microbes in their gut. Therefore, to truly understand how many kinds of microbes there are, we have to sample many people. The AGP has sampled many more people than any other project, including the HMP. Therefore, for the types of people that participate in the AGP, we understand the range of kinds of microbes that exist. Now we just need to understand why and what factors affect them.

If you want to join other citizen scientists you can go to this link. But don't be in any hurry to see how your microbiome compares to other people of your age, weight, diet, etc...it might take 6 months to get your data back.

Does anyone here think like I do that some disease processes will be discovered based on this research? For instance, maybe having a certain set of strains of bacteria generate a carcinogenic substance. Treatment could be to consume something that absorbes the substance or instead, maybe a probiotic could be introduced that crowds-out the bad actors.

Last edited:
Uh...

Maybe this explains all the alien anal probes you hear about :cool:

Last edited:
I read an article recently that called us humans "just elaborate vessels for the propagation of microorganisms." Now that's kind of a new way of looking at myself.

I read an article recently that called us humans "just elaborate vessels for the propagation of microorganisms." Now that's kind of a new way of looking at myself.

Well, the microbes were here first, we are the intruders. Or perhaps they are the micro-frankenstein and we are the pet monster. :)
Consider the point in the lifecycle of the Lancet liver fluke where the organism seizes control of the ants brain leading it to the top of a blade of grass where the cow can eat it and repeat the cycle.

The Towers · Microbiology: Zombie Ants with Dicrocoelium dendriticum

Does anyone here think like I do that some disease processes will be discovered based on this research? For instance, maybe having a certain set of strains of bacteria generate a carcinogenic substance. Treatment could be to consume something that absorbes the substance or instead, maybe a probiotic could be introduced that crowds-out the bad actors.

I would bet a very large % of my total NW on this...if I did not have to define the time frame: Almost certain to be the case in my opinion; but, I may be long gone before anything of significance is discovered.

I would bet a very large % of my total NW on this...if I did not have to define the time frame: Almost certain to be the case in my opinion; but, I may be long gone before anything of significance is discovered.
Yeah, it might take some time. Especially since, if life can't be patented (so big pharma can't corner the market), there might not be a whole lot of investment. That's why I'm jazzed that this is crowd sourced!

One thing that I predict we will see before I croak is a linkage between (and a treatment for) gut microbiota and autism.

If you are REALLY interested in this subject, here is video from three years ago that is fairly comprehensive:

"The rainforest in your gut: A brief tour through your intestinal biome, why it’s messed up, and how to fix it" by Dr. BG & TG on Vimeo

ABSTRACT: The gut may be considered the mammalian second brain and its maximal function is related to many factors including diet, lifestyle, stress, exercise and a balanced microbial environment. How do we discern the intelligence quotient (IQ) of the gut and its impact on our metabolic, mental and sexual health? Why is it messed up? In this neolethal age, factors include: poor maternal transfer, dietary impact, pharmaceuticals (acid blockers, antibiotics, vaccines, hormones), poor water quality, excessive hygiene, heavy metals and other toxicants. Which inhabitants in your rainforest are endangered or extinct? Farming our gastrointestinal terrain to achieve a diverse, robust balance of bacteria, microbes and biofilms not only mends the gut but also fulfills the ever expanding role of the biome: immunomodulation, the brain-gut axis, fermentation, vitamin synthesis, hormone production, and detoxification. Happiness, effortless body fat loss and hormonal health can result when the rainforest in the gut is optimized.

One thing that I predict we will see before I croak is a linkage between (and a treatment for) gut microbiota and autism.

The Link has pretty much been made:

The Autism File » What can I do to help my child with autism?

Whenever we begin a discussion about the treatment of autism, we need to start with the gut. Many of our children have problems with gut inflammation (a red, irritated, and inflamed gut lining), with dysbiosis (too many bad germs as compared to good germs) and abnormal permeability (because of the germs and the inflammation, molecules or allergens that are not supposed to be absorbed outside the gut are and cause allergies and sensitivities).

What are some of the clues that my child may have gut problems?

• Difficulty breastfeeding
  • Persistent colic
  • Gastroesophageal reflux
  • Food sensitivities
  • Failure to thrive
  • Wasted buttocks
  • History of frequent antibiotics
  • Abnormal posturing
  • Hands in pants/probing/anal itching
  • Self-injurious behavior
  • Unexplained tantrums/crying
  • Irritability (especially prior to bowel movements)
  • Poor sleep
  • Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Bloating
  • Pain
As Dr. Michael Gershon points out in his book The Second Brain, everything that fuels and feeds our brain goes through our gut. When we talk about neurologic problems, such as autism, we must first start in the gut.

When I see the thread title,

"You Are Only 10% Human",

I laugh to myself and imagine that perhaps you've been talking to my ex. :ROFLMAO:

As for the research, I am not especially impressed or hopeful of great, earthshaking discoveries from it, but then what do I know? :) I do expect that more research money will be devoted to this line of research for a few years.

Last edited:
I have no idea what discoveries will come from it but have little doubt that it is yet one more piece of the puzzle that is people.

When I see the thread title,

"You Are Only 10% Human",

I laugh to myself and imagine that perhaps you've been talking to my ex. :ROFLMAO:

As for the research, I am not especially impressed or hopeful of great, earthshaking discoveries from it, but then what do I know? :) I do expect that more research money will be devoted to this line of research for a few years.
I just think that acknowledging that the gut micribiota is important is a leap for old timers. Yeah, lots of smart folks are working in this area now.

WRT your ex...some of us had a good laugh when we compared 23andMe results for how much Neanderthal was in us!

Back
Top Bottom