Marijuana in Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrallight

Dryer sheet wannabe
I thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion.

I live in a state that has legalized recreational use of marijuana. I used marijuana occasionally up until the late 1970's. Then, I guess I grew out of it. It was illegal. Some of my jobs had random drug testing.

But, it has occurred to me recently - aren't the low-key, mellow, peaceful, live-below-your-means pleasures of ER precisely the pleasures that could be enhanced by a few tokes?

Here are my reservations:

(1). This activity is still illegal under federal law. What if a conservative Republican is elected next to the US presidency. He (or she) could staff a U.S. Justice Department with vigorous anti-pot enforcers. Unlikely to land a casual toker in jail, but still ....it would change the landscape.

(2) In my State (Washington) to be safe from DUI type penalties (because marijuana shows up in a blood test for quite awhile) you would basically need to refrain from driving for several days after toking. Frankly I am not convinced that someone who smoked a joint on Friday is an impaired driver on Monday - vis-a-vis empirical evidence on the subject. However, driving privileges are important - and the law is, what it is.

I realize this may be a loaded topic for some (especially those who think pot is a "gateway" drug). But, recreational pot use legalization appears to be advancing, in a number of jurisdictions.

What do you think?

By the way. My personal investment strategy tends towards "set it and forget it" mode, so if I were to get high (not saying that I will!) it is unlikely to all come crashing down!

If you think you would enjoy it again, why not try it? Stuff out there these days is much stronger than the stuff of yesteryear. 2 or 3 tokes is all one needs these days.

Have fun in retirement!

Thanks for your response. Yes the potency of today's strains vs. those of yesteryear is something to be considered. luckily I am enjoying retirement, with, or without, drugs/chemicals of any kind. It's all good!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I can tell you that smoking pot is hugely popular in the expat community of countries that I have lived in. Especially, Mexico and the Philippines. This came as a big surprise to me. We are talking over half the community, probably (small sample anecdotal evidence only).

I am pretty much straight as an arrow and health conscious and have never ingested any illegal drug, including marijuana, so sometimes it took me awhile to figure out what my friends were doing since they knew without even asking that I didn't do that stuff.

However, I *do* think it should be legal. And also not overtaxed.

I don't know if you have seen the latest research, just out this year, that shows what long term marijuana use does to your brain (a brief synopsis was the most read New York Times article a couple of months ago). You can easily tell a long term pot smoker from a brain scan (which is downright scary!) and tell about how long they have been smoking. And I can't imagine it is good for your lungs, either. They said that the strains from the past decade are much stronger than before.

So I would definitely never try it even though I could get it real cheap here in the Philippines.

EDIT: So to summarize my concerns are health-related, not legal issues.

My wife and I were just talking about recent legalization.

We RV frequently in Oregon and wondered how soon we would see other Baby Boomer campers blazin up around the campfire. Along with bongs and water pipes on the picnic tables next to the traditional collection of wine bottles and hooch.

What if ..

If it becomes illegal again or enforced by federal law, quit. In the mean time enjoy your freedom to choose!

In my State (Washington) to be safe from DUI type penalties (because marijuana shows up in a blood test for quite awhile) you would basically need to refrain from driving for several days after toking.

I was under the impression that blood testing has a reasonable threshold, so that after 10 hours you are under it (still detectable, but under the legal threshold like with alcohol). Unless you are a smoker, that throws your THC levels off as far as I know. You have any stats to share? Curious.

I live in Amsterdam since 6 years, and buying and using is legal here. Haven't smoked in a long while though (I used to in highschool and college). Main items holding me back is not wanting to wreck my lungs (although you don't have to smoke it!) and a general preference lately to enjoy life without being under influence (alcohol or any other drugs).

Also, for those that are a bit wary of THC levels these days being much higher than they used to be. I wouldn't worry about it, just ask your local distributor about potency and experiment a bit. You can't overdose in any case. Certainly if you smoke slowly in a social setting your body will tell you when you've had enough :)

Enjoy the giggles ..

[Edit: and munchies, enjoy the munchies ..]

This thread was moved to the politics forum, please keep the partisan comments at bay and try to relate this to FIRE.:)

I used it frequently in the 60s and early 70s and then stopped for my 30 year Federal career. Now I am not much interested but still a bit curious because of the reports on potency. DC has a medical marijuana program in place and recently voted to legalize it for recreational use. As I reported on a medical thread a few days ago, DW got a medical marijuana card to try it to alleviate her restless leg syndrome. So far she has had mixed results which tells me it is probably as good as placebo. I have tried a few tokes out of curiosity and can report that it is indeed quite strong. But there was plenty of MJ around in the good old days that was similarly potent. The difference is consistency and reliability. You are not going to end up with "skunk weed" at the local dispensary. I suspect the bigger potency worry for casual users is edibles. Ingesting the stuff leads to a much longer high and, unless you are careful, can easily lead to way too strong a dose. There are amusing and scary anecdotes about such experiences floating around like Maureen Dowd's impression that she had died.

We're next to a state where it's legal (but a long drive from the border) and a few people have been arrested for bringing it in. Yeah, that makes me feel SO confident that we're being protected from dangerous criminals.

I wish we could get it for DH. He's on meds that depress his appetite and I try to keep calorie-dense things around that I don't find tempting so he gets the nutrition he needs. He just registered a small gain, which is a victory; I attribute it to Trader Joe's Pecan Pie Ice Cream but MJ wouldn't be as bad for his arteries.

Personally, I might try it if it didn't involve smoking. I'm high-energy and I work out every day so I'm not sure if I'd like the effects. I also don't need a case of the munchies. I work hard to stay at the weight I was in HS (lost about 15 lbs. 3 years ago to get to that level).

....snip....

I suspect the bigger potency worry for casual users is edibles. Ingesting the stuff leads to a much longer high and, unless you are careful, can easily lead to way too strong a dose. There are amusing and scary anecdotes about such experiences floating around like Maureen Dowd's impression that she had died.

I've been familiar with this plant for many years. Edibles, even when I made my own in the '70s were quite potent. I've never come close to the thoughts I was dead, but edibles are very potent.

I'm glad that some states have chosen to be on the forefront of reclassification of a plant. The state I live in authorized medical use right after CO's legalization. Seems it prevents small children with certain seizures from dying. I think that's a good idea!

I'm also in favor of my tax dollars not paying to incarcerate someone in possession of a plant, that grows naturally in the dirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

You mean like these ladies?

So awesome.
We have a fair number of friends that smoke, though some use vaporizers. I'm kinda ho-hum about it, not a big deal in our circle, nobody really considers it more or less than drinking beer or wine.

I generally don't partake, because it makes me more introverted, which is not the desired effect. Edibles, if you know how strong they are, are probably a better choice. I had a great time with the rice krispy cake purchased at a music festival, and a disastrous time once with a friend's homemade brownie. :hide::blink:

Personally, I might try it if it didn't involve smoking. I'm high-energy and I work out every day so I'm not sure if I'd like the effects. I also don't need a case of the munchies. I work hard to stay at the weight I was in HS (lost about 15 lbs. 3 years ago to get to that level).

Edibles are very popular in the states that have legalized it. I did read recently that Colorado was considering banning or restricting edibles because children could easily mistake it for candy. I live in Arizona which has legalized it for medical use only but that won't help you if passing through one of the many border check points in the state. Since by federal law it's still illegal the border patrol will confiscate it even from people who have been medically approved to use it.

You mean like these ladies?
./.
I had a great time with the rice krispy cake purchased at a music festival, and a disastrous time once with a friend's homemade brownie. :hide::blink:
The video is hilarious. :LOL:

The brownie thing - that's what happens when you eat refined wheat products. Complex carbs are the way to go..

Since you have already passed the productive years of your life, why not?

We would be better off legalizing all drugs, prescription or not, addicting or not. Why shouldn't I be able to buy a coke with cocaine in it, like it used to be? Or order any of the drugs I see advertised online without seeing a doctor.

It would dramatically reduce healthcare costs, not just in retirement, but over all. And reduce any doctor shortages.

Haven't smoked in a long while though (I used to in highschool and college). Main items holding me back is not wanting to wreck my lungs (although you don't have to smoke it!) and a general preference lately to enjoy life without being under influence (alcohol or any other drugs).

+1

I have no desire whatsoever to smoke pot, regular cigarettes, drink alcohol, and so on. I enjoy life as it is, and clouding my mind with pot or other drugs would bore me. :sick:

In 1974, thought I couldn't live without it (the old 'better to have pot and no money, than money and no pot'). In 1994, gave it up. Wife still indulges occasionally, and once a year I hit it for 'old time's sake', but it's just not right for me.
Due to all the anti-smoking causes since 1964, I never ever in my life thought it would be legal, not because of the drug effect, but because it was a product you smoked!

Last edited:

I never ever in my life thought it would be legal, not because of the drug effect, but because it was a product you smoked!

The dispensaries all sell vaporizers that pull the essence out of the buds without actually burning.

There's probably a class of people out there that, if it were available recreationally, might try it to address minor health issues, probably ingesting the kind with the lower psychoactive effects. There seems to be a lot of anectodal experience that it helps with a wide variety of conditions. This route would be for people that didn't want to go through the medical channels; finding a doctor that will prescribe it is a battle some folks might not be willing to fight just to give it a shot to see if it's effective.

finding a doctor that will prescribe it is a battle some folks might not be willing to fight just to give it a shot to see if it's effective.

Finding a doctor to prescribe MJ is easy in places where it is available by prescription. For almost any cause, including asthma. Often, a building next door to the MJ 'pharmacy' will house a doctor that gives prescriptions.

I think MJ is past the tipping point. I can't imagine that the federal government will ever crack down, they realize states need the revenue - if anything, look for the feds to figure out their own cut of the taxation.

Isn't it weird that our society is on the verge of simultaneously outlawing tobacco and legalizing marijuana?

Should legalize and tax it, IMO. Govt is not effectively stopping it legally

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Last edited:
I think MJ is past the tipping point. I can't imagine that the federal government will ever crack down, they realize states need the revenue - if anything, look for the feds to figure out their own cut of the taxation.

Isn't it weird that our society is on the verge of simultaneously outlawing tobacco and legalizing marijuana?

The Gov really makes out on the tax on tobacco, and it's unlikely it will ever be outlawed. MJ may be the next candidate for federal taxing (a few years out, though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom