Poll: When do you open Christmas presents?

When do you open Christmas presents?

• 25th Christmas Day

Votes: 57 71.3%
  • 24th Christmas Eve

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Other/neither

Votes: 10 12.5%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW's fam always opened on the morning of 25th, my fam was always on the 24th eve after dinner & dishes. It took DW and I a while to come to an understanding...

Usually the 25th in the mid morning. I try to act mature, but...Think Young, Feel Young wins out every time. ;)

This year it will be the 27th in the evening. Mr B is in NH.

As a child, we were allowed to open 1 present on xmas eve, and the rest on xmas day.

Ever since childhood, Christmas presents have been opened first thing on Christmas morning, followed by a slice of home-made Pumpkin Pie. The pumpkin pie is in the oven, and almost ready to take out.....although there are no presents to unwrap, just some fancy cookies and some flavored tea for my Mom, along with the 2015 Old Farmers Almanac.

In my and my wife's families, we open presents on Christmas eve.

Christmas Day of course. How can you open them on Christmas Eve, Santa hasn't delivered them yet!;)

As a child I always opened mine up Christmas Day but now we have a party Christmas eve ( people just left ) and then we open our presents .

We always opened wrapped presents on Christmas Eve. My 3 younger brothers had all already sneaked peaks and knew what they were getting. Not I.I liked waiting and guessing. Still do love surprises.

Then Santa would magically come overnight and leave a big array of unwrapped toys beneath the tree. Over the whole living room, really.

I was the only girl, so it was easy to know my haul. 🎄😃

In both of our families it has always been Christmas Day morning.

Mostly Christmas Day. We do stockings though and open those on Christmas Eve. As a child, my parents always let me open one wrapped Christmas Eve gift on Christmas Eve. As an adult, when I had kids, I loved the idea of doing stockings so I started doing those on Christmas Eve right from the start.

Our normal routine is to meet up with DW's family on Christmas Eve and exchange gifts and then open our gifts on Christmas morning and then have a nice big breakfast.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

When I was a kid, Santa's gifts were opened on Christmas morning (I was usually downstairs by 6 am) and other gifts were opened as they were received. Nowadays I don't get many gifts and if I do I open them right away and say "thank you, you shouldn't have!"

I'm just sitting with 3 of our 4 kids and asking about traditions. As children, we always opened one wrapped present on Christmas Eve and found a pair of pyjamas on our pillows at bedtime. Stockings were out on the couch and some toys were under the tree unwrapped on Christmas morning. With our children we didn't do the Christmas Eve present. We put their stockings outside their bedroom doors for the morning to slow them down a bit. Both I and my children weren't allowed down to the tree until everyone was ready to go.

Christmas Eve, as is the tradition in our home country. We get to stay up late and sleep in the next day.

Whenever we get the family together. Our kids have rotating schedules in different states for the holidays so we have stay flexible.

Wrapping? People still wrap presents? Most of ours are sent electronically. No wrapping this year.

Mostly Christmas Day but depending on other's schedules sometimes Christmas Eve.

When I was much younger we were supposed to wait until everyone was awake but I was not above sneaking in there while it was still dark. If the occasion called for it I would also make enough noise so that everyone was awake soon enough.

Haven't done gifts for 10 years since they usually ended up being things we only thought the other person wanted (but didn't buy themselves because they didn't think the item was "worth it"). Now we spend the money on better food and wine for dinner parties.

Last edited:
Christmas morning. Done as a family... Taking turns. Stockings can be opened right away Christmas morning... To give parents a chance to acquire coffee in their mugs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom