In limbo...Not sure what's next

meteor

Confused about dryer sheets
I became FI at 53, 2 years ago. Since then I've been in limbo about what to do next in my life. None of my friends are FI and I don't feel comfortable telling them because they might fall out of their chair. We are all artists and I was the one who was able to build my own business and did well for many years. I don't want to spend the rest of my life just filling time with useless distractions. I've done a lot of things already (traveled around the world, did social work, etc). The only thing I know for sure is I'm starting to get irritated living in San Francisco Bay area. I love the politics, arts, weather, healthy organic food and creativity. What I find unpleasant are the growth of people moving here who don't think any rules apply to them. More people are living on our street in campers with electric cords across the sidewalk, boom boxes blaring all the time, people bringing "emotional support" dogs into restaurants that bark at customers. Perhaps it's just city living. I grew up on a farm and have always been bewildered by people who think their needs always come before anyone else's, cut in lines, yell, etc...Anyone have a perspective on my dilemma?

Consider moving to another part of the city that is more exclusive? Or buy a good pair of insulated wire cutters and go berserk cutting cords?

How about a sabbatical? Step away from the madness for a few months, journal, do yoga and dream. It sounds like it is time for a new chapter. I drop out and re- invent every few years.

How about a sabbatical? Step away from the madness for a few months, journal, do yoga and dream. It sounds like it is time for a new chapter. I drop out and re- invent every few years.

+1
You are FI. You can do this!

meteor -
First - congrats on reaching FI - especially in the arts. That's a significant achievement in and of itself.

2nd - I agree with the "take a sabbatical" idea. It can be outside the city, but someplace that inspires you and your art. Do you still need to be hands on with your business? If so, that would suggest you need to stay local, unfortunately, but perhaps you could take a step back - carve out time each week to do things that restore you... go walking in Muir Woods, admire the light at sunrise over the golden gate, hike up and down the Berkeley hills.

During this sabbatical try to figure out what activities make you happiest.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate these responses! I feel like I'm walking around like a zombie confused about what to do all the time. Maybe I do just need a sabbatical somewhere away. I feel like I have so much to offer but the urban drama take so much out of me sometimes. I got stuck on BART the other day and there was a fight. We had to wait 30 minutes for the police to come. These things are becoming more of a norm than they ever used to be (I've lived her over 30 years).

Never saw a fight on BART. Wow. Lived in the Bay Area until age 39. I left 15 years ago but it seems now the changes are drastic. SF and New Orleans were once known as the most tolerant places in the country.

Don't be afraid to move. I took a sabbatical which helped me decide to leave CA. Few regrets. Very few.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

If you are an artist, and from what you are describing, I am going to take a wild guess you might live in Berkeley now? You might just try moving out more into the 'burbs. The more upscale the more ordinances you'll probably find against things like noise, campers and aggressive dogs.

Come on up to Seattle. People are pretty nice here. I am a transplant from Atlanta and plan to stay in the Seattle area.

Actually Portland would be a better fit. We have lots of artists and being 'unemployed' wouldn't raise eyebrows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laika_(company) is in the metro area; The Art Institute of Portland has programs for industrial design, graphic & web design, game design and programming.

I am not suggesting that you want to take on any more projects, just that you should find a circle of like minded artists and we aren't that far by air to SFO/SJC.

Last edited:
How about giving back?

If you have a passion that you learned, give back by teaching.

That is what I am doing with my martial arts - donating my time to teach more.

The payback is immensely rewarding - and can *consume* any spare time you think you have ;-)

A lot depends on the needs of your art; I suspect you are not going to give that up. It's seems your problem is people. I empathize. Upscale or downscale, I think, may be less important than fewer people. Perhaps a smaller town, a bit of land more rural, something more home-townish where one can still LBYM and emotionally flourish, yet maintain connections electronically to peers in the Bay Area. Maybe only a few hours away so you can occasionally make the trek back, for personal or professional reasons.

Going upscale depends on exactly how FI you are, which we don't know lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom