What is your "yield"

phil70

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm trying to get an idea of what a reasonable "yield" is on my investment portfolio. By that I mean income (dividend & interest) over value (not yield on cost) of your overall investment portfolio (which for me excludes emergency cash and checking account balance). Last year my yield was just below 2%. That sounds reasonable to me because I am still 10 years from our FIRE goal and I am 70/30 stocks/fixed income. I have no particular focus on dividend stocks or high income investments.

In the future, I would like to get more income from our portfolio, so I'm curious what other people have been able to achieve.

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to get an idea of what a reasonable "yield" is on my investment portfolio. By that I mean income (dividend & interest) over value (not yield on cost) of your overall investment portfolio (which for me excludes emergency cash and checking account balance). Last year my yield was just below 2%. That sounds reasonable to me because I am still 10 years from our FIRE goal and I am 70/30 stocks/fixed income. I have no particular focus on dividend stocks or high income investments.

We have a standard boglehead portfolio. Looking at divs on total market equities and intermediate bond funds, something near 2% is to be expected.

In the future, I would like to get more income from our portfolio

Why?

It would take a while to figure it out exactly but it's somewhere between 2.2-2.5%

We have a standard boglehead portfolio. Looking at divs on total market equities and intermediate bond funds, something near 2% is to be expected.

Why?
Long story short, income should mitigate against "sequence of returns risk" in the draw down phase. If for example, I have a 3% withdrawal rate built in to my plan, and have 2% income, that reduces sequence of return problem in comparison to a portfolio that is more dependent on capital gains. Well, that's my thinking anyway.

Long story short, income should mitigate against "sequence of returns risk" in the draw down phase. If for example, I have a 3% withdrawal rate built in to my plan, and have 2% income, that reduces sequence of return problem in comparison to a portfolio that is more dependent on capital gains. Well, that's my thinking anyway.

Can you explain why you think this? For equities, there is no difference between receiving a dividend of 2% and selling 2% of your shares, other than the fact that by selling shares your taxes are reduced.

For fixed income, you can reach for more yield, but that increases risk.

We're not including capital gains, right? I've watched this number for many years, and for me it is consistently near 2.5%.

Can you explain why you think this? For equities, there is no difference between receiving a dividend of 2% and selling 2% of your shares, other than the fact that by selling shares your taxes are reduced.

The sequence of returns risk makes the difference. If I have to support myself by selling 3 or 4% of my portfolio every year, I am at greater risk of outliving my funds if the first few years of my retirement are like 2008 or 1929. If I am earning 3% in income, never have to sell a security, no sequence of returns risk. The market value of my income producing investments may decrease as well, but if I don't have to sell then I will do better when the market rebounds.

The sequence of returns risk makes the difference. If I have to support myself by selling 3 or 4% of my portfolio every year, I am at greater risk of outliving my funds if the first few years of my retirement are like 2008 or 1929. If I am earning 3% in income, never have to sell a security, no sequence of returns risk. The market value of my income producing investments may decrease as well, but if I don't have to sell then I will do better when the market rebounds.

Not selling shares does not eliminate the sequence of returns risk.

What's the difference between owning 100 shares at $50 vs owning 50 shares at $100?

Excluding cash, my average yield is 2.9%. This is probably a bit higher than most 60/40 AAs, due to 15% real estate and 5% high-yield bonds. Also, average duration in the bond portfolio is 5.9, due to a fairly large position in LQD. The equity portfolio yields right at 2.0%.

We're not including capital gains, right? I've watched this number for many years, and for me it is consistently near 2.5%.
I think some folks don't know the difference, which is why I take the reported "yields" with a grain of salt.

Excluding capital gains distributions its around 3%.

Wow, I must be doing something wrong if others are getting 6-7.3% in yield alone. Yes I know it's possible but :cool:

Last year my total return was only 5.9% (Intl, VGELX & Short Term Bonds hurt overall). Of that 3.1% was appreciation and 2.8% yield (dividends/STCGs).

Last edited:

+1 Dividend and interest income for the year divided by fair value at the beginning of the year. Excludes any CG distributions, capital gains from sales or change in unrealized appreciation.

Last edited:
Wow, I must be doing something wrong if others are getting 6-7.3% in yield alone.

Last year my total return was only 5.9% (Intl, VGELX & Short Term Bonds hurt overall). Of that 3.1% was appreciation and 2.8% yield (dividends/STCGs).

See post #18 above...
+1

Energy MLPs and leveraged CEFs can yield more than 6%.

Spending the dividend is selling the investment. The money doesn't know.

Back
Top Bottom