Toss another veggie burger on the barbie?

bjorn2bwild

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A bite from the Lone-star tick leaves some people allergic to red meat, or more precisely, to the alpha-gal sugar contained in red meat.

At the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, "I see two to three new cases every week," said Dr. Scott Commins, who with a colleague, Dr. Thomas Platts-Mills, published the first paper tying the tick to the illness in 2011.

A Bite From This Tick Could Make You Allergic To Meat

Probably a pernicious plot by PETA!

People Eating Tasty Animals?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

"People for the ethical treatment of animals"

I used to think PETA did more harm than good to the cause of sparing "food" animals the unnecessarily cruel life they live, but now I think they're just a convenient whipping boy for humans that don't want to face this very moral issue.

Maybe we all could consider their intent instead of anonymously mocking the name? It's what our higher than the average animal intelligence is good for after all.

No personal attacks meant here. I just happen to respect PETA for what they are trying to do even if I don't agree with their approach. We Americans have lost control of our food chain IMO and animal cruelty is just one symptom of many of this.

Last edited:
"People for the ethical treatment of animals"

I used to think PETA did more harm than good to the cause of sparing "food" animals the unnecessarily cruel life they live, but now I think they're just a convenient whipping boy for humans that don't want to face this very moral issue.

Maybe we all could consider their intent instead of anonymously mocking the name? It's what our higher than the average animal intelligence is good for after all.

No personal attacks meant here. I just happen to respect PETA for what they are trying to do even if I don't agree with their approach. We Americans have lost control of our food chain IMO and animal cruelty is just one symptom of many of this.
Yea, there is a reason that some states have made it illegal to photograph the treatment of farm animals and it is not to protect the privacy of pigs.

Putting PETA issues to the side (and for the continued good health of this thread, we probably should), it appears that this allergy is only to mammalian meat, not chicken or fish. The offending alpha-gal sugar can also be in dairy, gelatin, protein powders with whey and some medicines. At least according to this site http://alpha-gal.org/basics/ And this, more detailed article, says that the allergy can go away over time. http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1ff316-4889-11e3-bf0c-cebf37c6f484_story.html

Last edited:
Interesting read, kind of scary that it's taken 10 years or more to come up with some knowledge of this condition. In the OPs attachment, the article stated many DRs. don't even know about it.

I guess that shouldn't suprise me. Back when we raised our own poultry, DW came down with psittacosis(diagnosed by a local farmer). Her DR at that time claimed she had never even heard of it, had to research how to diagnose and treat it. The doc did admit she should have known about it, given her practice was close to a farming community.:banghead: DW recovered just fine, but very thankful to the guy that told her to get back to a DR. and tell them you have this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom