Where do I start?

DisplacedAgain

Confused about dryer sheets
I am 56. I have been displaced with my company once again. I have been with them for a total of 26 years. I am also going through a divorce. We will be selling our house, we have 2 rental properties (one of which I am currently residing). My cars are paid for. I have a substantial 401k (in my opinion anyway)

I will be accepting the severence package and trying to consider which direction to go in.
Should I try to land another job with the company or should I retire?

I love to travel and seriously considering buying a camper in Europe and tour around there for months at a time. Another option is to obtain a job with my company in Europe and tour on the weekends.

My life seems to be a clean slate at this point. I want to seize the opportunity if possible to do something really fun, but not put myself into financial hardship.

Where should I start in my considerations?

I wouldn't plan on any major moves until your divorce is settled and any assets sold and proceeds split. That way you will know where you stand financially. I was overseas when my ex filed for divorce back in 1992 and I was at a major disadvantage because of the distance and time differences. I know technology makes things easier now, but there's still an advantage to being nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Having been there, my advice is not to make any big decisions while you are going through a divorce. It is a truly crazy time.

I wouldn't plan on any major moves until your divorce is settled and any assets sold and proceeds split.

+1 on this.

Losing your job and a divorce are two of life's most stressful events and making a third life-changing decision at the same time is likely to be something you will wish you had done differently later on.

Unless you are very sure you will have the assets to retire after the dust settles on the divorce I'd say look for another job.

I'll be the fourth person to say that I'd stay close, work through the divorce and the job loss, and put off other big changes until the dust clears.

But, I know that if I were you I'd want to be doing something about the rest of my life. As your title says, you want to START on something.

One big question is "Can I afford to never work again?". I'd copy this list of questions http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/read-this-before-you-introduce-yourself-65548.html and start answering them. It's a good mental activity today, and it needs to be done anyway.

Notice this board also has a "Life after retirement" forum. That's a great place to brainstorm ideas. You'll find people who are into living on the road and people who have spent time in Europe.

Since I have not been divorced I cannot comment on that....

But, if you have an opportunity to work overseas and would do that.... I say do it!!! I did and enjoyed it tremendously.... Usually overseas work does not come with the same stress as in the US... unless you have contact with US people... there were many times when I got a call at 5PM 'local' time and they wanted info right away... there was a 6 hour difference, so they did not see it as a problem...

However, there were more holidays and it was cheap to get out and see things... at least once a month I took off to see the sights... some were long day trips, but some were long weekend trips to another country...

It is better if your company is paying for your living expenses.... I only had to pay for my food and travel....

As an aside.... I found out that I had a French maid only because one of my sisters that came to visit was home when they came to clean... it is a 'fantasy' the people have.... and I did not know I had it!!!

Back
Top Bottom