Would you buy something that cooked perfect steaks?

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just saw this on Yahoo....

https://www.yahoo.com/food/would-yo...hat-112791969696.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Have no idea if it would work properly.... My BIL cooked steak on the George Forman and they were horrible.... I cook on the grill, but can over or under cook by a bit.... (the steaks are great either way.... so not a problem)...

But, this would allow you to cook indoors and basically do nothing....

Sounds like a very expensive gadget that would take up space and not be used much in my kitchen - I'll pass.

Nope. I'll admit that my steak grilling is highly dependent on a Thermopen instant read thermometer. Has greatly improved my grilling consistency. Never did get that pressing the steak and using resistance to tell done-ness.

no - if you want to cook steak indoors get a delonghi, they work great but a pita to clean (DW says anyway)

I already have me! :)

Stovestop searing in cast iron and finishing off in a high oven works very well for steaks indoors, especially for filet mignon/tenderloin. And you can make a sauce from the drippings if you like.

Last edited:
Nope. Not just about the price, but there's no more room for single-use gadgets.

I'll admit that my steak grilling is highly dependent on a Thermopen instant read thermometer. Has greatly improved my grilling consistency. Never did get that pressing the steak and using resistance to tell done-ness.
+1

Stovestop searing in cast iron and finishing off in a high oven works very well for steaks indoors, especially for filet mignon/tenderloin. And you can make a sauce from the drippings if you like.
I have not grilled steak for quite a while, as I like to make the sauce by deglazing the pan with brandy.

No, I wouldn't buy it. I think steaks are inherently fabulous tasting and don't need much but to be tossed on a grill. Although I have an outdoor grill, I cook mine on an indoor electric grill (open, not George Foreman type), because that is easier when cooking for a single person. For some reason I have no problem telling when it is cooked just the right amount for me.

IMO that device is just another gizmo to be stuffed in the back upper shelves of one's kitchen cabinets, never to be seen again.

Last edited:
We make steaks indoors in a turbo convection oven that shuts itself off and cost around $50 on Amazon. It doesn't do the temperature check but I would not pay extra for that, and we use the convection oven for all sorts of foods besides steak. It even cooks food that is frozen rock solid, so it has helped us with home cooking. We can stockpile meat in the freezer and not have to remember to take it out ahead of time to defrost.

Last edited:
I have DW to take care of tose litle details.

I hate gadgets. I use an old iron skillet and the oven. Am trying to give up red meat. What color are pork chops?

I have not grilled steak for quite a while, as I like to make the sauce by deglazing the pan with brandy.

Yep, me too! Cognac of course!

The best steak we ever had in a restaurant was done the cast-iron seared and oven roasted way. We seem to usually do tenderloin when we want a steak, and that's my favorite way other than beef stroganoff.

And roast mushrooms to go with it. Mmmmmmm.........

Otherwise I do tri-tip which I can do either oven or grill. And various lamb cuts which we usually grill although the rack does fine in the oven.

No, I wouldn't buy it. I think steaks are inherently fabulous tasting and don't need much but to be tossed on a grill. Although I have an outdoor grill, I cook mine on an indoor electric grill (open, not George Foreman type), because that is easier when cooking for a single person. For some reason I have no problem telling when it is cooked just the right amount for me.

IMO that device is just another gizmo to be stuffed in the back upper shelves of one's kitchen cabinets, never to be seen again.

What kind of indoor grill do you use:confused: I have used pans before, but they do not come out as good as the outdoor grill... I have not used the cast iron pan/oven method either...

What kind of indoor grill do you use:confused: I have used pans before, but they do not come out as good as the outdoor grill... I have not used the cast iron pan/oven method either...

This is one I've used. I would only use thick filet mignon/tenderloin steaks for this method. Sear-Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Herb-Mustard Sauce

There are a ton of recipes out there. I see one with a Cabernet sauce that looks worth trying. I just love the finish on a thick tenderloin steak done this way - nice crusty brown top and bottom and deep red center.

Sauces are optional but add a nice touch if you use sparingly.

Prediction: Cinder creators will appear on SharkTank just before launching the cooker next year.

What kind of indoor grill do you use:confused: I have used pans before, but they do not come out as good as the outdoor grill...

This is my grill, although it is apparently no longer made. Do not buy it at the inflated prices at this link! It cost $45.43 back when I bought it several years ago, and that is closer to what it is really worth. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00176P77C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For two or more people, I'd use my outdoor grill. Cooking for one is an art in itself, developed over many years in order to suit oneself perfectly. Also I don't think that two large steaks would fit on this grill. Cleanup is so easy it is trivial.

Last edited:
I'll just add that a cast iron seared steak, finishing in the oven, and deglazing for a wine reduction sauce just about beats the grill. However, in our home we have to do all that outside, we're blessed with a vent fan/microwave combination that "vents" to the inside; hence any aggressive broiling or even searing is sure to call the smoke detector to full attention. The annoyance of DW and I is only exceeded by that of the two dogs. Even moderate frying is sure to gunk up the kitchen. If I was writing building codes I'd nix the faux venting.

This is my grill, although it is apparently no longer made. Do not buy it at the inflated prices at this link! It cost $45.43 back when I bought it several years ago, and that is closer to what it is really worth. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00176P77C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, that is a bit pricy! However, Amazon helpfully notes that "Customers who viewed this item also viewed"

Amazon.com: MaxiMatic EGL-3450 Elite Cuisine 13-Inch Countertop Non-Stick Grill, Black: Contact Grills: Kitchen & Dining Looks to be identical for $48.96.

Or this one: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-09020-...m_sbs_k_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VJXWBPHGETMN8EDSNK0 for $31.99.

I can see how for one person those would work well.

Yeah, that is a bit pricy! However, Amazon helpfully notes that "Customers who viewed this item also viewed"

Amazon.com: MaxiMatic EGL-3450 Elite Cuisine 13-Inch Countertop Non-Stick Grill, Black: Contact Grills: Kitchen & Dining Looks to be identical for $48.96.

Or this one: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-09020-...m_sbs_k_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VJXWBPHGETMN8EDSNK0 for $31.99.

I can see how for one person those would work well.

Thanks! That first one looks identical to me, too.

I already have me! :)

That's also my method that I got from reading Alton Brown's recipes. I use a meat thermometer and have the timing down so that I get close to the desired 130-135 degrees fairly consistently.

+1. Grill during summer and pan sear and oven during winter. Have heard so much about the reverse sear, I'm going to try it next time.

This has worked for me for years:

Put the iron skillet in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees. HOT!

Salt and pepper the steak for 30 to 60 mins before you want to cook it. According to Americas Test Kitchen this allows the salt to enter the steak and flavor it through osmosis. Less than 30 mins and the salt will draw the liquid out of the steak and cause it to dry out. The osmosis begins after 30 mins if I remember correctly.

Once the oven is at 500 take the skillet out and put it on the gas burner. Use a glove ;)

Place steak on skillet for 1 min each side and the put it back in the oven, still at 500, for 3 mins. After 3 mins turn the steak and leave for 3 more mins. That's for cooking a 1 in thick New York to medium/medium rare. After cooking 3 or 4 steaks u get the idea of whether it should be 2.5 or 3.5 mins etc.

Comes out the same perfect way every time.

I put some oil on the steak before I cook it, but no oil on the pan.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Yes, I would buy something that cooks perfect steaks, but not that thing. Buy a "Sous Vide", it works, and it works better than you can believe.

I was actually against it, my wife bought it, first bite changed my mind. Every bite since has been perfectly as good. You almost can't screw it up. Eating steak out is now unacceptable, no matter how good the restaurant is.

Back
Top Bottom