credit card dispute

mn54

Full time employment: Posting here.
last month I noticed two charges in the same amount on the same day at two different wallmarts that neither I nor DW had made. I contacted the cc co. to let them know. Also around the same time the cc co. sent us new cards to replace the old ones. I received a letter today saying that whoever made those purchases swiped a card in the self-service line and that I am responsible for these purchases. We never lost a credit card. I will be calling them in the next day or two to let them know I will not be paying for those charges. Has anyone else had this situation? Isn't there a legal responsibility to make sure the person using a credit card is the actual person?

It is difficult to get a CC company to get things right... you will just have to push harder... I bet Walmart said that it was you which brings it back to be your problem...

Keep making it their problem... that is what is required...

last month I noticed two charges in the same amount on the same day at two different wallmarts that neither I nor DW had made. I contacted the cc co. to let them know. Also around the same time the cc co. sent us new cards to replace the old ones. I received a letter today saying that whoever made those purchases swiped a card in the self-service line and that I am responsible for these purchases. We never lost a credit card. I will be calling them in the next day or two to let them know I will not be paying for those charges. Has anyone else had this situation? Isn't there a legal responsibility to make sure the person using a credit card is the actual person?

I've had a few fraudulent charges over the years and have never been asked to pay them once I reported the fraud to the CC co. I'm not sure why the charge taking place in a self service line should matter, especially in these days of card cloning.

Curious what credit card? Whenever I have had an issue (which thankfully has been rare) I've never had a problem with CC company (Amex or MasterCard).

Hmm. About a month ago Fidelity Visa contacted me to inform me someone had made 3 Walmart charges in the amount of $99 each. Fidelity blocked the last charge. Told me they would send out a new card, which they did, and I wouldn't be responsible for the charges. Then they called a week or so later to say they had made two separate pulls from my checking account in the amount of the monthly bill. Big apologies, they credited one payment back and applied a $50 credit to my card for the pretty non-existent inconvenience.

That was Fidelity Visa. Just saying how they handled things.... Granted, we have been in SoCal for several months and the charges were made in Oregon, but I'm happy with that card company.

You can't expect the proper outcome unless you write a letter, and might as well get signature confirmation.

I had a situation at a gas station where when I put in my cc somehow my cc accidentally paying for some else's fill up. I didn't discover that until after going home so I called the gas station. The station owner said he'd check the records. I think went ahead and disputed the charge with my cc company. But when all done, I lost the dispute and got charged the credit.

In their eyes, I went ahead and purposely racked up the charge. The irony is that my car didn't even hold as much gas as the fill up indicated.

A long time ago when cc's were processed by those sliding carbon copy paper, I got double charged on a transaction. For this, I did end up notifying my cc company or the merchant ( I forget now) but did get the extra charge taken off.

Hmm. About a month ago Fidelity Visa contacted me to inform me someone had made 3 Walmart charges in the amount of $99 each. Fidelity blocked the last charge. Told me they would send out a new card, which they did, and I wouldn't be responsible for the charges. Then they called a week or so later to say they had made two separate pulls from my checking account in the amount of the monthly bill. Big apologies, they credited one payment back and applied a $50 credit to my card for the pretty non-existent inconvenience.

That was Fidelity Visa. Just saying how they handled things.... Granted, we have been in SoCal for several months and the charges were made in Oregon, but I'm happy with that card company.
That's funny because it was my fidelity visa also. About the same time. They notified me they were canceling my old card and sending a new one before I saw these charges.

I don't understand how/why a "swipe at the self service line" makes it your fault .... I am sure getting Walmart's camera footage would be worst than getting a root canal (but it would solve the who-dun-it question). No thief would risk handing a clerk a hand made CC with your magnetic strip .... geez.

Maybe pull a police report .... you've been ripped-off!

Last edited:
I called them back today to let them know I wasn't planning on paying these charges. I was told now that these charges would be credited to my account and a letter would be sent to me to sign and return stating I did not make these charges. Not sure what made them change their mind. Hopefully this will be the end of it.

I called them back today to let them know I wasn't planning on paying these charges. I was told now that these charges would be credited to my account and a letter would be sent to me to sign and return stating I did not make these charges.

That is going to be what is called an "Affidavit of forgery/unauthorized use" or whatever it is called in the location where the cc company is located. Without it Walmart (who will ultimately eat the loss) cannot prosecute whoever made the charge.

Always make these complaints by letter, sent certified mail return receipt requested. A pita yes but it is the only way to prove that you notified the cc company of the fraudulent charge(s).

Read the fine print on the back of the cc statement and it makes that clear.

I called them back today to let them know I wasn't planning on paying these charges. I was told now that these charges would be credited to my account and a letter would be sent to me to sign and return stating I did not make these charges. Not sure what made them change their mind. Hopefully this will be the end of it.
I've been told that such a letter was coming my way before. But when I did get a letter there was not requirement for me to sign anything, just the letter stating that the fraudulent charges were removed and that the cards were being reissued.

But I always understood I might need to sign such a letter. Some day they might actually send me something to sign!

This is what they should have done in the first place. I don't understand the initial approach.

I am guessing it is not Amex :)

Why, you think AMEX is any different:confused:

I had a problem with a company making three charges on two of my CCs.... there was a ligit bill, but their machine was not finalizing the charges even though they had gone through... twice on AMEX and once on another CC... I got AMEX to reverse the charges and thought it was over...

Six months later they send me a letter saying they 'looked' into the matter and that I owed the money... I had one week to pay them 'or else'... well, I was leaving for vacation the next day... pissed me off I had to deal with this with no time for me to get it done... they lost me as a customer for their bad service....

I've been told that such a letter was coming my way before. But when I did get a letter there was not requirement for me to sign anything, just the letter stating that the fraudulent charges were removed and that the cards were being reissued.

But I always understood I might need to sign such a letter. Some day they might actually send me something to sign!

This is what they should have done in the first place. I don't understand the initial approach.
Back in the 1990s when someone stole some mail (I assume and found convience checks in the mail) I did have to write and get notarized several letters saying I neither authorized or benefited from the transaction. (Several credit accounts were opened) Eventually all went away.

When I was a kid, someone bought gas up the east coast on one of my dad's cards (we were in Florida). I don't think the card was missing, and back then, you had to go inside to pay. But, like today, they don't check to see if the signature matches.

The credit card company sent someone out to our house with copies of the credit card slips! The signatures were not even close to my dad's. We (the kids, ages 10 through 15 or so) were all asked if we knew anything about it. We all said "no", and they resolved in my dad's favor.

Had a similar problem with Walmart. I had to involve the state attorney general's office, who read them the riot act with me on the line. It was resolved in my favor.

Back
Top Bottom