Fake Meat

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Somehow, I missed this. Posted without comment for general interest only.
Suggest a lead in for changes in the food industry by bypassing the farming for feed for animals and going towards direct enhanced food supplies.

The Fake Meat Market Is Surging | Alternet

Malthusian theories are coming back into play. Remember... for every action, an opposite and equal reaction. A small bit of environmental concerns for today, but an opportunity to capitalize on the rebalancing of supply/demand in the neartime.

Attachments

• populationgrowthhistory2.jpg
    populationgrowthhistory2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 20
That chart makes me think we need to lace the fake meat with powdered birth control pills....:LOL:

Does this have something to do with Bruce Jenner?

Many years ago when I was at the Big U, dorm food service had decent hamburgers that were really soybean burgers. No meat in them at all. They were a bit bland on taste, but that was fine. They were all the same diameter and thickness, we assumed a machine pressed them out. They were delivered by a supply company in quantity, right into the big freezers.

Occasionally, for an evening meal, they would have hamburgers with real meat... yecch! You could tell that they were animal-based, by all the ground up bone and gristle in them! Ewww, the soyburgers were a 1000% percent better!

If those same soyburgers were available today (I mean the recipe that they were made from) I would buy them, and maybe stack two of them together in one bun.

In the last five years or so, we tried a few different vegi-burgers on the market, but all were more $$, seemed to be a $$ specialty, and they used spices and whatnot to try to create some kind of target taste. We did not like the target! Nor the price. The dorm food service supply soyburger recipe from decades ago would have been great.

Last edited:
Just 2 words......Soylent Green....no factory farm animals here....Goes great with salsa

Couple of weeks ago was treated to dinner at a chain Chinese style restaurant. The host asked me if the place was ok with me. I said sure, as long as they don't use horse meat, and it it is horse meat , just don't tell me, then all will be ok.

Last edited:
Just 2 words......Soylent Green....no factory farm animals here....Goes great with salsa

Couple of weeks ago was treated to dinner at a chain Chinese style restaurant. The host asked me if the place was ok with me. I said sure, as long as they don't use horse meat, and it it is horse meat , just don't tell me, then all will be ok.

I'm not sure why we're so hinky about horse meat in the U.S. I had some in Iceland a while back and I thought it was quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Interesting topic, fake meat, made me look. I used to go with a co-w*rker to a vegetarian restaurant he loved. I enjoyed most of their food as well. I really liked foods that were proud of being vegetarian meals and showcased the vegetables taste. The stuff I didn't like was seitan and other things that pretend to be meat. That said I'd try it, I might love it.

I'd be game to try some of it for utility grade meals (say, burritos) but there are some meals, like last night's baby back ribs smoked for 6 hours, that I just can't imagine a substitute for!:dance:

I'm not sure why we're so hinky about horse meat in the U.S. I had some in Iceland a while back and I thought it was quite good.

I think it's kind of a " My Friend Flicka" thing . Cant wrap our mind's around cultural norms in other parts of the world.

In the last five years or so, we tried a few different vegi-burgers on the market, but all were more $$, seemed to be a $$ specialty, and they used spices and whatnot to try to create some kind of target taste. We did not like the target! Nor the price. The dorm food service supply soyburger recipe from decades ago would have been great.

Best fake burgers I've ever tasted (and it's cheap!) It has been elevated in our household as our staple snack food (with no buns).
Quinoa Black Bean Burgers Recipe - Allrecipes.com

We were out for a stroll here in the park in Mexico City when I approached a vendor to ask what "chitos" are. Dried meat with chili he tells me. I keep walking, thinking how it looks like too much chili. Then a helpful passerby suggests to not buy the meat because it's horse meat.

As soon as she said that, I did an immediate about face, walked back up to that vendor and traded him 5 pesos for a candy bar sized slice of dried "horse" meat. I've always wanted to try it and couldn't find it in Canada (shelves were sold out in Quebec City when we were there).

I think I got ripped off and it was really beef, not horse meat. A little too tough and tendon-y for my tastes.

This is right up there with all the other food fads that love to label manufactured digestible products as better than real food: Trans-fat margarine, nutrition bars and drinks, assorted fat-free products, etc.

Far better to eat less meat or just be a vegetarian who eats real food from real plants than these manufactured products. (Like the quinoa black bean burger recipe posted earlier.)

Have we learned nothing from the low-fat, low-cholesterol 'recommendations', and all the rest of the eating fads that were used to convince us that manufactured food is better than real food?

Thank you! I've been looking for a recipe along these lines. Nice timing... :D
You are welcome :)
I was looking into black bean recipes (after readings some articles on "resistent starch" and how black beans do not affect my BG) and found this recipe, and we eat it all the time now with different variations.

I can also recommend tempeh if you want a "meat-like" product that tastes fine and is relatively easy to make yourself at home.

For 100 points, what is a courgette? No Googling, now!

Back
Top Bottom