Stress on the homestretch...

ArkTinkerer

Full time employment: Posting here.
Few weeks left till my last day and the stress level is rising not falling...

Working on refinishing a bathroom since we have family visiting the week before my last day. So, as usual with my projects, its more complex than planned and I'm working nights and weekends trying to get it all done in time. I hate schedules more and more ....

Also have to handle some financial moves as well as trying to help megacorp deal with me not being there to finish out the project -- which is behind due to their last minute changes.

I had planned a nice leisurely glide slope to retirement and its turning into an uphill forced march in the rain!

Probably not unusual. But I'd be reminding myself that it's only for a few weeks, I believe that would make it much easier. I remember my last few weeks, and whenever something distasteful came up, I'd remind myself 'this us the last time I'll ever have to do this,' and it made me smile (or smirk). Made anything bearable if not pleasant. A few weeks is trivial in the overall of 80 +/- years of life, and there's a known reward a few weeks away. Best of luck...

Last edited:
My last month was very stressful, but almost immediately after retiring, it left. Just keep the end in mind and know that it will soon be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

DW retired 6/30. Her last month was extremely busy and stressful - so much so, that she couldn't be excited about her upcoming retirement. Well, 6/30 arrived, she said her goodbyes, and now 9 days later she has embraced her new life and says the old stress is now just a quickly fading memory. (Now if I can just shake this OMY thing .......)

I remember my last few weeks, and whenever something distasteful came up, I'd remind myself 'this us the last time I'll ever have to do this,' and it made me smile (or smirk). Made anything bearable if not pleasant.

+1

You can do it!

Strange. When I retired, had no issues. No added stress. Just had more
time to do other things. :greetings10:

I can relate. My last weeks suddenly I was the point person to start a SOC 2 audit and turn over all the SSAE16 audits to the poor smuck that got buried with all my other useless w*rk. It was worth it. :)

Hrmmm I'm about a year out and no stress at all. In fact I just had my mid-year review and boss wanted to talk about my development plan and I said do you really want to go there ? Hope this isn't too too early to be judging everything against only one year to go.

I had similar problems. Even though I gave 18 months notice, it seemed like most of the transition snafus happened in the last couple of weeks.

Don't let the bathroom remodel get you down. Just finish it as your schedule allows - even if it's not ready by the time your family comes to visit. it's not worth stressing over.

In any case, it will all be over in a few weeks, and this stressful blip will be long gone.

Trying to remember to breath...

Bathroom has a wall in common with our breaker boxes. Had to reroute some old wiring. They had grounded the boxes thru the old galvanized plumbing. That took an extra day to fix. Last night I did the soldering of the adapters to the shutoffs for that section of the plumbing. New stuff will be PVC. My tendency is to go as hard as I can until I make a big mistake or hit a really frustrating problem. Trying to do this one with just one major task per day.

Interviewed a replacement candidate at work. Surprised they actually planned ahead this far! Seems like a good fit. Still, even if they hired today he likely wouldn't be onboard until after my last day.

Some talk about me doing some contract work. I'm not opposed at this point but in my frame of mind I don't want to work on anything that has a hard schedule anymore. A research project would be nice. Even if they only paid for a working prototype. I suspect most of what they have in mind is urgent work that has hard deadlines made worse by last minute changes or failure to plan. "Not my circus, not my monkeys" and "My give-a-damn's busted" both seem to apply!

In spite of all this my last checkup on the company's healthcare showed blood pressure is down! Must be doing something right!

Back
Top Bottom