Start and stop deposits or withdrawals

bigfoot

Dryer sheet aficionado
Is there a way to start and stop deposits or withdrawals during retirement in Firecalc? For example start Withdrawals of $30,000 for 3 years and then stop it. Or start Deposits of $15,000 for 5 years and then stop it.

On the "Other Income/Spending" tab - If "Pension Income" radio button clicked, amount entered is income beginning in year specified, or if "Off Chart Spending" radio button clicked, amount entered is income reduction in year specified. Income shows up as a positive "withdrawal change" and Off Chart Spending as a negative "withdrawal change" (if downloading the optional spreadsheet selected on the "Investigate" tab.

Thanks. So enter temporary withdrawal as Off Chart Spending in the year it starts, say 2015, and then stop it by entering the same amount as Pension Income in the year it stops, say 2018? Wouldn't that show the last entry in 2018 as continuing from then on, instead of just stopping it?

Also I just noticed that it doesn't matter whether or not I check the Inflation adj box. Whtaever I enter always gets inflated either way. What's up with that?

In the spreadsheet representation it shows both the start and stop continuing, so I take that as the stop simply cancels out the start. I see what you mean abut the inflation adjusted checkbox, that was disconcerting as I have been using both DW's and my non-cola pensions in FIREcalc since the get-go. A search found this thread http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f36/inflation-adjusted-checkbox-seemingly-ingnored-76861.html to be reassuring, will do some testing of my own yet to verify. Apparently the FIREcalc results graph is good data, but the spreadsheet maybe not so much.

A bit of an old thread, but I have a similar question regarding non-permanent spending. For example, I am trying to plan for college expenses (for example, $20K for 4 years). I realize that I can take care of this by using the example above (e.g. offset the spending by starting the "pension" income the year after the spending ends.).

However, there are only three such changes that I can make under this tab in Firecalc. Is there any way to add additional off chart spending and/or "pensions"? Thanks!

A bit of an old thread, but I have a similar question regarding non-permanent spending. For example, I am trying to plan for college expenses (for example, $20K for 4 years). I realize that I can take care of this by using the example above (e.g. offset the spending by starting the "pension" income the year after the spending ends.).

However, there are only three such changes that I can make under this tab in Firecalc. Is there any way to add additional off chart spending and/or "pensions"? Thanks!
The "portfolio changes" tab allows for one-time expenditures. You could enter the entire cost of college ($80k) as a one-time expense during the Sophomore year to split the difference. Not a perfect solution but Firecalc is just a guide.

Or if the cost of college is near, just reduce the assets you input into firecalc by $80k... less precise but unlikely to affect the decision either way.

If you have made a donation and "unlocked" the manual spending changes you can simply increase your expenses in the years necessary and decrease after that as many times as you like.

If you have made a donation and "unlocked" the manual spending changes you can simply increase your expenses in the years necessary and decrease after that as many times as you like.

Hmmm, are there different levels of donation? I did donate but do not see any difference in allowable inputs. Probably a function of me just missing, but I still do not see how to add more manual spending changes.

Hmmm, are there different levels of donation? I did donate but do not see any difference in allowable inputs. Probably a function of me just missing, but I still do not see how to add more manual spending changes.

You need to login to see that section.

no different levels - you have to use the supporter login on the right side top of the page and then you can access the manual spending changes.

no different levels - you have to use the supporter login on the right side top of the page and then you can access the manual spending changes.

Boy, I thought I was (somewhat) computer literate. LOL But still having problems. Just to make sure - I should see this info in the "other income/spending" tab, correct?

I am still not seeing how to do more than three changes to "pension" or "other spending". Sorry to be such a dolt on this. :(

If you are logged in, on the Spending Models tab you will see a "Manual Entry of Spending Changes" (last option). Click that button and click on the "Expand/collapse Manual Entries section" to open.

screen shot attached showing tab

Attachments

• 2016-07-08.png
    2016-07-08.png
    294.7 KB · Views: 11
To all of the above - thanks so much. :) Sorry for the computer illiteracy and appreciate the kind responses!!

Back
Top Bottom