Who ordered a slip-n-slide for august?

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am getting peppered... my poor energy stock. My apologies for falling into the "daily dose" doc and looking at the folio daily...meh, posting to ER is cheaper than my psychiatrist...

Did we stop growing or something? We can't blame this in Greece and china...what's going on with these earnings?

I did. Needed a summertime sale on equities . No tree grows to the sky.

I know, I know...what goes up must come down...but then go back up again right?

I think I read somewhere that historically, August is the worst, if not one of the worst months of the year when it comes to the stock market. Looking at my own data, it seems to be about a 50/50 chance that August will finish up.

FWIW, the last time my own spreadsheet showed a serious correction was around that timeframe in 2011. However, in those days my data was a bit spotty and tracked lows and highs, rather than simply the end-of-month total. But I do remember between a new high for myself on 7/7/11, it was down about 10% by 8/8/11. But since I don't know the 7/31 and 8/31 totals, that August could actually have been an up month.

Anyway, starting in September of 2011, I started using the month-end number, so that the monthly comparisons would be more consistent.

I never realized that September is historically the worst month of the year. The only two really bad ones that stick in my mind are 2001 and 2008. However, my personal experience is very limited, as I didn't get serious about investing until 1998, and it wasn't until 2005 that I had what I'd consider to be a substantial amount saved up.

I know, I know...what goes up must come down...but then go back up again right?

Depends. Markets, and Sectors, yes, but sometimes takes years, NASDAQ 2000 to about 2013 ?............ Individual companies, assuming they don't go BK, not always. Try a 15 year chart on PMCS, or say, BAC , pretty sad.......... You said energy stock,you don't have something that is upstream, do you?

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that historically, August is the worst, if not one of the worst months of the year when it comes to the stock market. Looking at my own data, it seems to be about a 50/50 chance that August will finish up.

FWIW, the last time my own spreadsheet showed a serious correction was around that timeframe in 2011. However, in those days my data was a bit spotty and tracked lows and highs, rather than simply the end-of-month total. But I do remember between a new high for myself on 7/7/11, it was down about 10% by 8/8/11. But since I don't know the 7/31 and 8/31 totals, that August could actually have been an up month.

Anyway, starting in September of 2011, I started using the month-end number, so that the monthly comparisons would be more consistent.

Good idea. I capture month-end as well, then I take a snapshot of my AA and positions based off of some quick calcs of all the data. gotta love google sheets.

Depends. Markets, and Sectors, yes, but sometimes takes years, NASDAQ 2000 to about 2013 ?............ Individual companies, assuming they don't go BK, not always. Try a 15 year chart on PMCS, or say, BAC , pretty sad.......... You said energy stock,you don't have something that is upstream, do you?

I hold a small position in VDE, XOM and DAL. Its about 9% of my total portfolio. I am down a bit but when energy does recover I will sell down to a 5% AA and pick a different sector.

Back
Top Bottom