Medical Alert Systerms

TrvlBug

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I are researching these devices for 93 year old MIL as she goes in for foot surgery in the fall. As she is still mobile, albeit limited, we are looking at coverage away from home as well as fall detection.

We're currently looking at Phillips Lifeline, Bay Alarm and GreatCall Splash (suggested by MIL because she saw the ad in AARP).

Can anyone recommend one of these or others?

Tailgate, you had an old post up that I couldn't reply to. I think I'll add them to my list:

"Anyone using Walgreen's Ready Response?
DM is 84 and needs the peace of mind that a medical alert pendant might provide. Door to door scam salesman pitched her monitoring service from a company that has many BB complaints against it. At least she asked me what I thought before she signed anything and I was able to research it.

I'm leaning towards a Walgreens product/service that I saw mentioned here when searching threads about these products. Here's the website. I like the mobile product because it is:
1. 2 way communication
2. not reliant on landline or cellphone (uses AT&T towers)
3. goes virtually anywhere
4. is essentially a panic button
5. detects 'falls'

$40 a month, but I'm not looking for cheapest solution.

She's worried about home intrusion too and I think a motion sensor alarm would work for her vs. a monitored system.

Anyone have experience with the Walgreens product? Or other ideas?"

We're using the Phillips LifeLine for FIL and MIL. The devices are very easy to manage and use, and the call center staff has been very good so far.

MIL is using the pendant that works through the ATT cellphone network when it is out of range of the home unit. The device acts as a single-button hotline to the call center, and also detects 'falls' (sudden movement or jarring, really) to automatically call. It also provides GPS position to the call center. She finds it reassuring.

My FIL used Medical Guardian for a short period. We got him the mobile version as it was one unit compared to others that required you wear a second item to include fall detection. It also had GPS and was usable anywhere you could get cell phone reception.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Alert-1 - Not Recommendation; Adding to List

I have been looking into the Alert-1 mobile system for mom. It's benefits (in her situation) over the others mentioned in this thread:
  • Two month standby charge - Less taking it off and having to remember putting it back on.
  • Lightweight - Hoping she will wear it.
  • Waterproof - Really hoping she will wear it when showering/bathing.

I need a cell/GPS system since mom is not home bound. She did suffer a serious fall earlier this year about 1/2 mile from her house on a walk.

There are a couple of reasons that I have not pulled the trigger on this purchase yet:
  • I am really not sure mom would wear it.
  • No automatic fall detection on this mobile unit.
  • I keep looking for a company with a good product that does not feel sleazy.

Sleazy to me: All the call now for special discounts; offer expiring today; etc. Also, various reports of equipment not actually working as advertised, especially fall detection.

The July 2014 issue of Consumer Reports on Health had a comparison of some available options at that time; the list has been updated and is online; not all providers were listed: Medical Alert Systems Comparison - Consumer Reports

Consumersadvocate.org also has a list of these services; but, I do not know anything about this site. For all I know, it may be basing rankings on dollars paid to them. But, it does at least have a reasonable list of these kinds of services.

Yes, I am having analysis paralysis trying to make the best choice for my mother.

My Dad uses great call. We have been very happy with it and I like that I can track his where abouts via GPS. It's $15 a month and well worth the price in my opinion.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

We use Bay for MIL who lives in a condo 5 miles form us. It works well. Had to do some intimidation to get her to wear the pendant all of the time, but now she does.

Was impressed that they call occasionally to do a "wellness" check. That may have been in the contract DW signed up for but it is a nice feature.

Back
Top Bottom