Baltimore MD for 7 days

tbilltubbs

Dryer sheet aficionado
We enjoy beautiful scenery, history, and natural history. So far we have Gettysburg, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.

What say you for one more place to visit in that area?

Thanks!

None of the 3 places you listed are in Baltimore so the title is a bit deceptive. We just got back from Wash DC. You could easily spend a week just in DC. I absolutely loved the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The Air and Space museum is pretty cool. We did go to Gettysburg which was nice.

I'd take in the Air and Space Museum. Last trip to DC, we also went to Mt. Vernon to George and Martha Washington's home.

I still want to see the Air and Space Museum Annex out at Dulles Airport too.

I'd take in the Air and Space Museum. Last trip to DC, we also went to Mt. Vernon to George and Martha Washington's home.

+1 to all of the above.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

In Baltimore itself we just visited the National Aquarium and Historic Ships, at the Inner Harbor. Both decent examples of their type.

We enjoy beautiful scenery, history, and natural history. So far we have Gettysburg, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.

What say you for one more place to visit in that area?

Thanks!

Ok... the DC mall and Gettysburg.
Really depends what you are into.
Annapolis ... go while the boats are still plentiful.
Shenandoah NP
Antietam
Baltimore... got to have crabs if you're going during crab season.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! Sorry for the "deceptive" description. We will be based in Baltimore for 7 days, but will be mobile, and would consider excursions of up to about 4 hours travel time to/from.

Thanks to all again.

I second the Annapolis recommendation above. I wouldn't go to Baltimore or DC without spending some time in Annapolis, a great waterfront area IMO!

If you are staying in Baltimore, and want to go to DC, consider using the MARC train. It is a commuter train between Baltimore and DC. The Baltimore stop is right outside of the Camden Yards baseball stadium, and it takes you right into Washington's Union station where you can catch the DC subway.

notable for their "top 10 of their kind in the USA" quality are the National Aquarium and the B&O RR Museum

The Spy Museum, all the monuments in DC. The WW II monument!

I'd do all of the Civil War battlefields you can drive to comfortably. We alos love the DC monuments at night.

In Baltimore, in addition to the Inner harbor (aquarium etc.), spend an evening in Fells Point. It is a beautiful, old neighborhood along the water. Drive there.

Another beautiful neighborhood is Mt Vernon especially around the Washington monument. (the original one!). Visit the Peabody library. Walk the streets and peek into the churches. I think you can walk here from the Inner harbor.

The Baltimore Museum of Art is small, but has a good collection including a sculpture garden.

Wish you a fun trip.

It is worthwhile - I've spent a couple of days there, but it is a day trip for me.

Attachments

• Air_and_Stpace_Museum-1.jpg
    Air_and_Stpace_Museum-1.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Air_and_Stpace_Museum-2.jpg
    Air_and_Stpace_Museum-2.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Air_and_Space_Museum-4.jpg
    Air_and_Space_Museum-4.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Air_and_Stpace_Museum-4.jpg
    Air_and_Stpace_Museum-4.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 6
Fell's Point in 1973 when I was young and rowdy was a different Place.

In old age last summer we visited Fort McHenry, and the Constellation sailing ship on the waterfront. And spent a night/day in Annapolis walking around.

heh heh heh - another day we also took the bus tour of Gettysburg - well worth it given my memory of the battles and various postions. Subsequent decades of various markers, monuments are a fascinating story/history in themselves. :cool:

A day trip north through Lancaster County in Pennsylvania would be a nice change of pace - bucolic farms, covered bridges and Amish culture to name a few attractions.

This great nation was founded in Philadelphia. Take the train north and you can be at the liberty bell in no time at all. Tour independence hall, Betsy Rosa house, Ben Franklin site, etc.

A day trip north through Lancaster County in Pennsylvania would be a nice change of pace - bucolic farms, covered bridges and Amish culture to name a few attractions.

Funny, born there, nice. You can combine that with G'Burg.

Ditto all the suggestions above.

The guided tour in Gettysburg is excellent and combining it with Amish country is an excellent idea.

Baltimore has the Inner Harbor-tall ships and the National Aquarium, but if it were me, I'd spend my time elsewhere. Annapolis is beautiful and historic and nearby.

DC- the spy museum is fun and near Ford's theater. I highly recommend going to Mount Vernon. There's so much to see in DC you'll have to choose what not to see!

If you want to see a different part of the rural east, consider Monticello and/or James Madison's Montpelier, which has only been restored in the past 15 years, and is a little closer. It is a bit of a drive, but a beautiful one.

It all depends on what interests you. Good luck deciding what to do.

If I were to pick just one additional destination, probably Mount Vernon, for it's history and scenery. But also add Amish country to your Gettysburg tour. Take highway 30 east from Gettysburg and you're there.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom