Your favorite cloud storage utility

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I want to back up my files routinely (say once a week) to the "cloud" (yes, I know it's not actually a cloud, but a bunch of servers somewhere). The advantage of cloud storage, as I see it, is the ability to access my files from any device, while on the go.

I have been trying to back up my files to Outlook One Drive with very poor results. Supposedly, I get 15 GB of free cloud storage; I only need about 5 GB of that. I have a fast (up to 75 mbps) upload speed with Verizon FIOS. Still, the upload keeps hanging or glitching. Either the transfer doesn't complete, or the files are corrupted. I have mostly MS Office files, along with .jpeg photos (which seem to transfer much better). I also have checkwin checkbook data which I need to back up.

I'm aware of other file storage utilities, such as Google Drive, and wondered if anyone is having good results with them.

Cautionary tales about cloud storage are also appropriate for this thread.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience,

Amethyst

I use both Dropbox and OneDrive (MS offering), both at the free level. I back up documents and ebooks to OneDrive. If I wanted to backup my photos IO would need to add storage at a fee but I use Flickr for that. I have not had any problems with either service. We have iCloud with our iPhones, again just the free level.

Google drive has been working well for me. I do not keep passwords there nor use Google's LastPass for password storage or creation. I use Keepass on a thumb drive for passwords.

Last edited:
I have used Mozy for some time and have had success in restoring [quicken] files that became corrupted--as well as migrating data to new computer after a hard drive failure. We currently are in the first level of paid usage due to DW's photo files--which took us out of the fairly generous free level.

What I like about both this service and Carbonite (as two examples) is the ability to set automatic backups. Each night/morning at 3 a.m., any changed/additional data are uploaded and integrated with the pre-existing information. No opportunity for me to forget about it, which is a good thing.

I've been using Dropbox for 5 years to backup my small business files and important personal files (taxes, banking, etc..)

Has always been reliable and saved by bacon twice so far (knock on wood).

The free limit is still enough for me.

Carbonite has worked well for me and has unlimited storage. I just restored an old tax file the other day and it was a piece of cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I don't use a cloud. I prefer to keep my files local only.

+1

I back up my files twice every Saturday - - one backup is on an external hard drive, and the other on a (large capacity) thumb drive. If I ever need those files somewhere else, I can put the thumb drive on my keychain or in my purse.

I don't use a cloud. I prefer to keep my files local only.

After a major laptop crash and subsequent backup drive corruption, I went 100% with Google. Drive, photos, documents, music, Chromebook etc etc.

After almost 3 years I have no complaints (and no crashes!).

I like the added benefit of getting onto any computer, anywhere, logging in and getting my own browser with all my stuff right there.

+1

I back up my files twice every Saturday - - one backup is on an external hard drive, and the other on a (large capacity) thumb drive. If I ever need those files somewhere else, I can put the thumb drive on my keychain or in my purse.

Are you not worried about a house fire or similar wiping out your onsite storage ?
We backup to two units at work but I couldn't sleep if I didn't know they were redundantly stored offsite too.

I use both Dropbox and Google Drive, both paid. I use Dropbox personally to transfer files from desktop, laptop, and phone. I keep all of my important personal files on it. It automatically saves all of my phone pictures. Everything is backed up. I've had a couple of occasions to use it to restore files that became corrupted or just because I wanted to backtrack. I can run Quicken from it on either of the computers and everything is in sync. All my files exist on the laptop, desktop, and cloud, with selected files on the phone.

I use Google Drive for cloud backup for the family. All our pictures and MP3's for the most part. I have one paid account and two free accounts. I can use InSync to have all three Google Drive accounts on both the desktop and the laptop, though that hasn't been necessary. Google Drive was a cheap option at the time, though now Dropbox has the same cost for me. I used to have to be careful to keep the trash emptied on Drive since all the saved versions and deleted files counted against your storage limit. Not a problem since I expanded the limit, but I haven't heard of that policy changing. Dropbox didn't count old backup versions against their limit (but does have a time limit). I thought it was a little easier retrieving old file versions from Dropbox than Drive. For me Dropbox pretty much just "worked", while I had to fuss a bit with Drive.

I was able to relocate the Dropbox or Drive folder to my non-C: hard drives, which I use for data. That allows a smaller SSD for the C: drive. Some of the other cloud drives I tried wouldn't do that.

I also had one issue with InSync + Google Drive where the software decided everything had changed and needed to be uploaded again, to the tune of >100 GB and killed my ISP data limit (now much higher). I believe they are now able to handle that, and I haven't had a problem for a couple of years. You don't want to make a lot of changes in your cloud service.

I like Dropbox a little more than Google Drive, but that's mostly history. they are very comparable.

Are you not worried about a house fire or similar wiping out your onsite storage ?
We backup to two units at work but I couldn't sleep if I didn't know they were redundantly stored offsite too.

Hmm, good point. Backups offsite AND completely under my control would be a good path to follow. I guess it would be pretty easy to keep one of my two thumb drives (that I alternately use for backup, along with the external hard drive) offsite all of the time instead of just some of the time. And in fact, that is my solution. Storage devices are delightfully cheap these days, and tiny.

Last edited:
I've used Google Drive for quite a while now, mostly to have access while travelling. I also backup to DW's laptop over the LAN, a thumb drive and a larger USB drive.

If there is a fire Google Drive will not be affected, if a malicious program encrypts or destroys all my files I expect it will do so on all accessible drives which include DW's laptop and Google drive so the thumb drive and larger USB storage drive won't be affected as they are not connected except to do backups.

I want to back up my files routinely (say once a week) to the "cloud" (yes, I know it's not actually a cloud, but a bunch of servers somewhere). The advantage of cloud storage, as I see it, is the ability to access my files from any device, while on the go.
I back up to an external hard disc once per week and to a memory stick once per month (key data only). But in recent months I've added Dropbox to get easy off site storage. Going to my safe deposit box is a drag and I tend to do it only a few times a year.

On a recent trip to Europe, it was nice to see our pictures (from a Nexus 5 phone) automatically backed up to Dropbox. Plus I could access documents in addition to some paper copies. Very cool.

Last edited:
I use Google drive. For any new docs, I create them in Drive as native files which do not count against your storage limit. The native documents can be opened and edited from any device. I use my phone (Android), iPad, and 2 different Windows PCs interchangeably with my native files. It's very handy.

For important personal files such as FIRE planning Excel spreadsheets, I manually upload them to a folder in my Drive account. I'm currently researching the best way to move my iTunes music library off of my old WinXP PC. I'd like to get it into the "cloud", but I don't want to commit to the iCloud paradigm.

I use Crash Plan to automatically backup to a local external drive and to the cloud.

We usually have at least one of our backup drives in the safety deposit box at the bank, and duplicates of a few other drives. Things get updated and swapped out whenever we go on a trip, so the stuff there is not that old.

I used dropbox on a job once, actually the entire office used it. It worked very well and easily.
Currently I do the at home backup thing, and the prospect of fire is an issue I had not really thought about too much.
We have very slow internet 1.5 mbps and 0.3 upload so I never considered the online even for photos. (I would want to encrypt tax forms first before uploading).

But we are getting faster internet tomorrow so maybe I'll check out the online options because of this thread :)

OneDrive works well for me. As a Microsoft user, I like how my cell phone pics automatically show up on my Surface's pictures app.

Back
Top Bottom