Close Call !

golfersailor

Dryer sheet aficionado
Last Monday I played my last round of golf here in Northern Ohio. Playing golf here in mid November is a rare treat. Cleaned my clubs and packed them away until next spring. Thursday before Thanksgiving I had to have surgery on my neck to decompress it. My doctor told me I would be fine and playing golf next spring. Surgery went extremely well and I was scheduled to go home the next day. About 9:00 pm that night(after my wife went home) I suddenly got very very sick and they transferred me to ICU. I was in ICU for about 30 minutes when I had a heart attack. Lucky for me I was in the hospital when the attacked happen and the cath lab was open due to another emergency. I was taken quickly to the cath lab where they found my Left Anterior Descending artery was 99% blocked. They immediately cleared it and put a stint in the artery to keep from collapsing. Next morning the doctor told me I survived the widowmaker heart attack.
I wanted everyone to know how precious life is and never take it for granted. All the money in the bank and all the stocks would not matter if you are dead.
I make sure for the last week I take a extra few minutes to hug my wife, grand kids, friends etc. and was very thankful during the Thanksgiving dinner.
A lot of people do not get a 2nd chance and I plan on making the most of mine.:)

Definitely something to be thankful for! Good luck and hopefully all goes well from here on out.

Next morning the doctor told me I survived the widowmaker heart attack. .:)

Congratulations on surviving that and welcome to the survivor club :) I had a 99% blockage of the same thing November 21, 2004. Cardio Rehab really helped me recover. I recommend it.

Yes, one's outlook sure changes. For me, I was almost fired from work because I stopped being an overachieving maniac, and tried to be normal work-life balance stuff. That was just one rat supervisor, and soon I had a new supervisor that lets me telework often. Unfortunately he is retiring at the end of the year. :confused:

Wow, happy you quite literally lived to tell the tale. And thanks for that reminder to all of us to really appreciate life.

Very reminiscent of what happened to one of my best friends. He was on the table about to have a catheterization to see his condition when he had a heart attack. With a good team already in the same room with him, he was well taken care of, most expeditiously.

What is it about hospitals that causes heart attacks?

Wow, what amazing luck that you were already in the hospital when this happened. A second chance is pretty rare but you have one. Glad to hear it! :D

A happy story. I'm happy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Wow! Amazing. Glad you're here and able to share your story. :flowers:

omni

So glad that you were in the hospital. I am glad that your DW did not have a heart attack when she found out about it.

We do need to remember that the important things in life are not things. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Last Monday I played my last round of golf here in Northern Ohio. Playing golf here in mid November is a rare treat. Cleaned my clubs and packed them away until next spring. Thursday before Thanksgiving I had to have surgery on my neck to decompress it. My doctor told me I would be fine and playing golf next spring. Surgery went extremely well and I was scheduled to go home the next day. About 9:00 pm that night(after my wife went home) I suddenly got very very sick and they transferred me to ICU. I was in ICU for about 30 minutes when I had a heart attack. Lucky for me I was in the hospital when the attacked happen and the cath lab was open due to another emergency. I was taken quickly to the cath lab where they found my Left Anterior Descending artery was 99% blocked. They immediately cleared it and put a stint in the artery to keep from collapsing. Next morning the doctor told me I survived the widowmaker heart attack.
I wanted everyone to know how precious life is and never take it for granted. All the money in the bank and all the stocks would not matter if you are dead.
I make sure for the last week I take a extra few minutes to hug my wife, grand kids, friends etc. and was very thankful during the Thanksgiving dinner.
A lot of people do not get a 2nd chance and I plan on making the most of mine.:)

Wow - first of all, it seems remarkable that you got through the surgery without the heart attack. You were certainly very lucky to be in the hospital and monitored when it occurred. Wow!

Get well soon!

You're extremely lucky to be in the hospital when this happened. Gob Bless You!

A happy outcome!

But weren't there any red flags when they were prepping you for surgery? (I don't know squat about these things, so please keep that in mind).

Wow! Imagine that happening to someone who is hiking, traveling, or anywhere that's not close to good medical help. Yes, just by mere chance, some of us get to live and others to die for the same condition.

And we spend huge amount of time tweaking our WR by 0.5%, and run retirement calculators every which way.

Yikes...so happy you are well. Thank God you were already in the hospital.

The LAD (left ant descending) is called the widow-maker for a reason!

Great attitude! A reminder to make the most of each day going forward... Something we should all do everyday! Work hard at recovery!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Great that you were in the hospital when the heart attack happened. Now take care, recoup, and get ready for spring golf!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks for the post; wise words and thoughtful sentiment. I try to take such tales to heart (unintended pun!) but often realize I fail to appreciate the time I have and all the blessings. DW and I are both lucky in never had such a scare; prefer to avoid it but they always seem to have a positive effect on many as in your case. May you live long and prosper with your new appreciation! May you have a Merry Christmas/Holiday Season to enjoy with your family.

Thanks for all the warm wishes. I start rehab next Thursday exactly 2 weeks after surgery. Amazing how quickly you start to rehab...looking forward to it.

You are one lucky man!! WOW! I am so very happy for you!

Wow - first of all, it seems remarkable that you got through the surgery without the heart attack.
Actually it is pretty common for cardiac trouble to occur a few days or more after surgery, rather than the "day of." Causes include pain-induced hypertension, blood pressure fluctuation from meds, bedrest during early recovery, unrecognized pulmonary embolism, recurrent pain as anesthetics and pain med wear off.

Glad that OP's outcome was good.

Back
Top Bottom