How do you make the (work) days go by faster?

coffeespoons

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi,

Corporate work is my fastest and best path to FIRE, but after all of these years, it's getting harder and harder to get through the days. I would trade off pay for lifestyle, but I don't see a good option there because I really want to be free of the schedule and other obligations that come with paid work.

Do you have ideas for how to make the days pass faster during the next several years?

Thanks!

Come in late, leave early?

Hi,

Corporate work is my fastest and best path to FIRE, but after all of these years, it's getting harder and harder to get through the days. I would trade off pay for lifestyle, but I don't see a good option there because I really want to be free of the schedule and other obligations that come with paid work.

Do you have ideas for how to make the days pass faster during the next several years?

Thanks!

Hey Coffeespoons,

Welcome. You may want to post something in the "Hi, I am..." section. Just so the folks on here can give some pertinent advice.

Sick days always help me get thru a work day. Oh wait...

the older you get the quicker the days will pass

How many more years do you have to endure this hell?

Toward the end of my full-time career, I looked around for more stuff to do, or came up with new/interesting tasks for myself. There was a twice-weekly budget meeting I had to attend, which looked, on the surface, like a total bore. Poor stuckee Amethyst!

Well, I took some budget courses, boned up on the arcane vocabulary, and started publishing a one-page layman's-language summary of the proceedings and emailing it to the higher-ups. They loved it, and I got a bonus.

Also, the time spent on the meetings and newsletter helped protect me from getting stuck with other stuff I *didn't* want to do.

There's some truth and some humor in the above responses, but I found that the more engrossed you can be in your job, the quicker the day goes and the less you think about how much you don't like it. If you just can't do that in your job, see if it's possible to find a position you like and can get lost in. But also try to call it quits at the end of the day. Stretching your day into the evening gets exhausting especially if you do it often.

Working from home occasionally is a nice break, especially from the commute, if you are able. Or flex hours if you are able, especially if traffic is an issue. I found myself in a better mood if I waited until 9 and then breezed in on the drive, or even coming in before 7 if I knew it meant about I could out early. It also gave me an hour or two of quieter time in the office before most people came in or after they left.

Sprinkle in vacation days here and there to give yourself a break if you have some to spare between longer vacations for trips.

I know where you're at because I am in the same boat. It helps when you have something to look forward to in the near future. I am planning a summer and holiday trip. Though it counteracts saving, it fits into the thought process that you have to live your life now. Life happens when you are making other plans.

Hi,

My personal opinion is that, after you reach a certain age, you start to realize that "making the days pass faster" is a very flawed concept. We all only HAVE a finite number of days left - why "make them go faster"? Instead, try to figure out how to make them more enjoyable, even if you are still stuck at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is that watching the stock ticker to see how my options were doing did not work to shorten the day. Focusing on the task at hand was best for me.

Hi,

Thanks!

I use to listen to Ron White or some other comedian esp. in the morning
I did make the mistake of laughing to loud a few times ....

Toward the end of my full-time career, I looked around for more stuff to do, or came up with new/interesting tasks for myself. There was a twice-weekly budget meeting I had to attend, which looked, on the surface, like a total bore. Poor stuckee Amethyst! Well, I took some budget courses, boned up on the arcane vocabulary, and started publishing a one-page layman's-language summary of the proceedings and emailing it to the higher-ups. They loved it.
All I know is that watching the stock ticker to see how my options were doing did not work to shorten the day. Focusing on the task at hand was best for me.
There's some truth and some humor in the above responses, but I found that the more engrossed you can be in your job, the quicker the day goes and the less you think about how much you don't like it. If you just can't do that in your job, see if it's possible to find a position you like and can get lost in.
My personal opinion is that, after you reach a certain age, you start to realize that "making the days pass faster" is a very flawed concept. We all only HAVE a finite number of days left - why "make them go faster"? Instead, try to figure out how to make them more enjoyable, even if you are still stuck at work.
+4. Keeping myself busy was always the best medicine IMO. If all my work was done to the best if my ability, it gave me the opportunity to work on tiger things and/or help others - but I always chose these tasks that were interesting to ME or skills I wanted to develop. Adding variety to the day with other tasks also reduces boredom...

Last edited:
It's better if you are busy until it's too late.... This last year is agony for me.

wally-thumb.jpeg

Buzzword bingo? Or some other stupid game of the day, take bets on how many time the newbie says "like", number of bathroom trips by the old guy, how many times the new father falls asleep, etc etc. Or doughnuts, last type to be eaten, and the exact time and by whom, a trifecta?

I have played all of those..and more. Not like I'm missing work!

Thanks to all of you for the great mix of funny, practical, and wise comments. Good food for thought. The commute and in-office time are mostly unavoidable, but there might be some opportunities here and there that I should look for more often. I do take days off and vacations, but I could do a better job of timing them throughout the year. Staying busy helps, although that can sometimes lead to overload. Keeping a long-term perspective is a good motivational tool.

And it's so true that our overall number of days is limited. That's often on my mind. It would be a great world if everyone could be born financially independent. Now that's a dream for future generations!

It would be a great world if everyone could be born financially independent. Now that's a dream for future generations!

Then who would do all the work? We all have survival needs-food, clothing, shelter. We'll either need to buy it or make it ourselves. I have all kinds of ideas about technology being used so we all have to go less to have more, especially time. Somehow it never worked out that way. 😞

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

.......... It would be a great world if everyone could be born financially independent. Now that's a dream for future generations!
A world of Paris Hiltons is kinda scary.

Back
Top Bottom