AARP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been getting unsolicited mailings from AARP for as long as I can remember. Generally they just get tossed, but hey, I'm almost retired now.

What services, products, or otherwise useful tidbits do YOU get from AARP?

I've been getting unsolicited mailings from AARP for as long as I can remember. Generally they just get tossed, but hey, I'm almost retired now.

What services, products, or otherwise useful tidbits do YOU get from AARP?

It's all junk mail, but if you have "the card", you can get 15% off at Denney's!

It's all junk mail. I finally got them to remove my email address from their data base.

It's all junk mail. I finally got them to remove my email address from their data base.

If anyone is concerned about the health of the U.S. Postal Service, just sign up for AARP. The amount of junk mail generated by that one action should keep the USPS in business for years and years.

I finally signed up last year because a couple of hotels I was planning on staying at gave AARP members a 10% discount. I then got a great deal on the rental car going through AARP. They have a bunch of restaurants that give you a discount though we haven't dined in any of them yet. Check out the perks on their site.

Their mailings are junk, but you can bring them down to a manageable level by deselecting all the mailing options online.

I finally signed up last year because a couple of hotels I was planning on staying at gave AARP members a 10% discount. I then got a great deal on the rental car going through AARP. They have a bunch of restaurants that give you a discount though we haven't dined in any of them yet. Check out the perks on their site.

Their mailings are junk, but you can bring them down to a manageable level by deselecting all the mailing options online.
Lots of places will give you an AARP discount if you ask without verifying membership. Just look kinda old and grumpy. :D

I just turned 50 in October but I don't get any of it. I also haven't joined; I have some philosophical and political issues with them that I won't get into here. I guess you have to join to get a lot of it. I sort mail in the mornings so I know there is a LOT of it going out a lot of the time.

...I have some philosophical and political issues with them that I won't get into here. ...

We were members for about 5 years and decided that it wasn't worth the money and we got too much junk mail from them. We also have AAA and the discounts generally overlap a lot. Quit principally because I don't like their politics. Don't miss them one bit.

I get discounts from some motels and restaurants, 5% off Consumer Cellular, and 20% off at Walgreen's sometimes. That said, I dislike their politics. But I'm still a member for the discounts.The CC phone discount pays more than double the annual AARP fee. And they do check your membership to give the discount, but motels don't.

I have some philosophical and political issues with them that I won't get into here.
I have "a friend" who tells them directly what he thinks of them--he writes it right on whatever they sent him in bold red pen and puts it into the business reply envelope the sent him so AARP pays the return postage. It's a big win for everyone: They get feedback, he gets to vent his spleen, the AARP coffers are reduced a tiny amount so they can do less mischief, the USPS is supported. And maybe they'll send out less junk mail (I've noticed some of their mailers now require you to put a stamp on 'em. I wonder why . . .)

Unlimited supply of offers for overpriced insurance. They send them frequently. Even if you let your membership lapse.

It's a marketing organization--selling your name to marketers.
They also get a cut of insurance premiums and other services their members subscribe to with the name AARP on it.
And they're a political organization--supporting political parties, candidates and subjects I don't agree with.
It's not a good company-- I'll leave it at that.

10% off your monthly ATT wireless Bill. I have an existing wireless account so simply walked into my local store and they applied the discount. (I couldn't figure out how to do it online )

Having un-subscribed from everything I actually get very little AARP junk mail these days.

https://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/promotions/aarp.jsp?bref=EBIR45L6400arp00

+1. Me too. Almost impossible online and my first attempt in the office didn't work. But now getting 10% on my cell bill. It's only $10 but...better in my pocket than theirs!

While not a fan of AARP in general I also just signed up for a water main line insurance they offer (protects us if the line from the main to the house breaks...we have a 110 year old line and it's 'due') for $2 a month.

Last edited:
The Magazines(s). (FWIW, I only subscribe to one other -- Sound & Vision.)

We have been a member of AARP for around 20 years and get many discounts from many suppliers. I don't remember the last time I got any (what could be called) "junk" mail from them but it has been over ten years.

They count your membership to say how many people back their political causes. I refuse to have my money spent that way.

If I quit all activities because I "didn't like the politics", I'd have to move to a desert isle...

Have contemplated joining, but the cost/benefit is questionable, and not particularly compelling. As for the marketing/junkmail, about 99% of my snailmail goes directly from the mailbox to the recycling bin...

If I quit all activities because I "didn't like the politics", I'd have to move to a desert isle...

Have contemplated joining, but the cost/benefit is questionable, and not particularly compelling. As for the marketing/junkmail, about 99% of my snailmail goes directly from the mailbox to the recycling bin...
If you had a wood burning stove, it might tip the scales.:D

I bought a 5 yr membership for $60 and will see if I save that much over the time, otherwise I'll not renew.

I did save $4 at Denny's and $15 on a hotel room, but don't really go to those restaurants, and if I have a coupon I don't think I can use it at the restaurant so the value of the discount is either less or reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom