China Central Gov. plan to reduce excess Steel capacity.

Politically this is very difficult for them as a significant % of that workforce work for government owned businesses.

Also worth looking at the relationship between commodities and banking/investing.

I think there was a lot of weird stuff going on. That is mining and commodity companies using the raw materials as leverage to invest in various investment schemes that appear to be unraveling. So when prices decline they had to stockpile more to avoid margin calls... you can imagine how that ends.

I wasn't able to understand the facts or depth very well so I just stay away. China is tough to understand partially because the regulators (government) are also the owners... and we know how well that kind of oversight works out :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Thank you for that link. Bought steel stock a few years back, sitting at -80%

Just when it hit bottom, it got worse .. overcapacity worldwide first, then Chinese dumping.

There is a big push right now in Europe where employers, unions and workers are pushing politicians to put in trade barriers. Steel specifically, some other commodities too.

Likely this a reaction from China to avoid economic sanctions.

ArcelorMittal on a rampage. +35% in a few days.

I'm sure other steel stocks are on a similar spree. Posco for example had a runup from 32.31 to 45.63 since january.

Back
Top Bottom