My Fingerprints Are Changing?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My HP laptop has a fingerprint scanner built in (great feature, by the way. Very quick to log on).

I've noticed this behavior twice:

After about a year, the fingerprint scans become less reliable. I must scan 2-3 times before it recognizes my fingerprint.

I redo the initial learn-my-fingerprint scan, and, bingo, it becomes totally reliable again. Reads the scan first time, every time from then on.

My conclusion is that my fingerprints change. Certainly not enough to go on a crime spree, but enough to matter to the computer.

Gotta be a sub plot for a new book.;)

After a while, I start getting sloppy about how I place my fingertip on the button and it doesn't register. Every time, I recognize my behavior and make an effort to place it squarely on the sensor and it works as it should.

Maybe something similar is happening to you?

I have used a fingerprint sensor twice. First with a Lenovo keyboard, then with the iPhone. I gave up on the Lenovo because it got too difficult to get a good read, this happened after 6 months or so. After more than a year with the iPhone everything is working as well as it did on day 1.

For my iPhone, I have my finger registered about 3 times. I figure it will eventually match up with one of them. I also had to change fingers once as it never could keep a good match on the first finger I used, only working about once every 10 tries. I stopped using it when I got a cut on it and found my other one was more successful.

After a while, I start getting sloppy about how I place my fingertip on the button and it doesn't register. Every time, I recognize my behavior and make an effort to place it squarely on the sensor and it works as it should.

Maybe something similar is happening to you?

Good guess, but no. When I start to have problems, I have to be super careful. After I retrain it, it never fails. I can be super sloppy, fast, wet finger, whatever, and it always gets it.

It's a swipe thing, by the way. A great feature, actually. Too bad the software doesn't interface well with web sites, etc.

Last edited:
It could also be that dust and other crud is slowly accumulating in the reader making it harder to match with the reference scan.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Gotta be a sub plot for a new book.;)

It was around that time he found he could breathe, underwater in the tub, if he squeezed his ribs inward while trying to inhale with a choked throat. Next he realize he could...

Good guess, but no. When I start to have problems, I have to be super careful. After I retrain it, it never fails. I can be super sloppy, fast, wet finger, whatever, and it always gets it.

It's a swipe thing, by the way. A great feature, actually. Too bad the software doesn't interface well with web sites, etc.

Have an hp dv7. Fingerprint reader works at login, but Web software is no longer supported.

Spouse had problem using scanner. At the login screen I tried wiping the scanner with a kleenex tissue. It logged me in under her account. True Story...

My Asus has the facial recognition login feature that needs to relearn what I look like pretty often.

I chalk it up to the fact that I'm getting prettier everyday.

Back
Top Bottom