Increasing Equity Exposure in Retirement?

YVRRocketSurgery

Full time employment: Posting here.
Read an interesting article in a Canadian business newspaper, the Financial Post, that talked about increasing equity exposure in retirement instead of the common rule of thumb of reducing it (ie ~100-Age=Equity exposure). It was written by Jason Heath, a CFP who is a regular contributor to a number of personal finance sites.

I likely don't do the article justice but in a nutshell...
The article is based on a publication by Wade Pfau and Michael Kitces in the Journal of Financial Planning: “Reducing Retirement Risk with a Rising Equity Glide Path”. He notes the common rule of thumb is that the success of your retirement portfolio is dependent on your sequence of returns; good returns in your early years will hopefully make poor returns in later years insignificant. However, reducing equity exposure in later years may prevent your portfolio from recovering if you experience poor returns in your early years. Increasing equity exposure allows you to capitalize on returns when the markets recover. Pfau and Kitces' research apparently seems to indicate that overall, a rising equity glide paths from conservative starting points can achieve superior results compared to steady or declining equity ratios.

My retirement funds are over 99% in equities but I don't plan to touch them until RMD is forced on me and may just roll them over to taxable accounts then. Living expenses are covered until then by savings and an A**uity I bought when I was 40 yrs old and didn't know better - Ha ha. - SS will kick in prior to needing any retirement funds unless armageddon occurs and it won't make any difference then anyway!

The concept is to balance the portfolio risk with the sequence-of-returns risk. The sequence-of-returns risk is maximum just before and after one retires.

Based on that the authors turn the traditional portfolio upside down and have lots of bonds when you retire and then fewer bonds as you age.

There were some threads discussing this both here and on the Bogelheads forum around 6 months ago when the paper was published.

Last edited:
The concept is to balance the portfolio risk with the sequence-of-returns risk. The sequence-of-returns risk is maximum just before and after one retires.

Based on that the authors turn the traditional portfolio upside down and have lots of bonds when you retire and then fewer bonds as you age.

There were some threads discussing this both here and on the Bogelheads forum around 6 months ago when the paper was published.

Thanks! I will look for the threads.

Back
Top Bottom