The deal is struck two days a week from home...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Met with the managing director yesterday; he agreed to a two days a week from home. Step 1 on my guide path to retirement. Funny but the forecast just changed for some long awaited warm weather...I think it is a sign.

Crazy but I can't help but think..Am really doing this?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Nice. Best I can probably do (which I'm doing now) is 3 days a week but no telework except unusual situations. Enjoy what I'm doing, fortunately. Gliding down to zero within a couple of years but could be sooner if spouse retires or our office location moves further away.

Still doing 2 days' consulting per week. Unlike OP, I have to drive to the office, but it's only a 20-minute drive given my very early hours, and I like the work. My contract runs out at the end of September, which will make 2.5 years...a pretty good run, and a fine way to wind down from partial to full retirement!

rayinpenn,

First, let me say congratulations!! What a sweet deal, and a great way to transition to ER. :dance:

If I recall some of your previous posts correctly, your office is located in a very sketchy, high-crime area. How wonderful that you no longer have to have the mental stress of dealing with that, or with the commute, but instead you can wind down the j*b on your own terms. It doesn't get better than that. Enjoy the transition.

If I recall some of your previous posts correctly, your office is located in a very sketchy, high-crime area.

Yes a big plus two less days in that dump of a city...
In all fairness I drive into a secure parking area in the building so my exposure to the war zone is limited... Yet two days ago A 53 year old was mugged by a group of teenagers at 4:30 in the afternoon in what I thought was one of the safer routes home.
Scary how they hunt in packs Going out for afternoon coffee has its risk- this gimpy old man is like a zebra with a bad leg in hyena country.

I don't know what it is but it seems like lately there's a panhandler at every traffic light. They chase us in the parking lot outside the building. They compete for the best spots. Im no expert but I believe some of it is fostered by the heroin problem.

Still I am appreciative to have been continuously employed by the firm for 32 years...

Last edited:
My "glidepath" -- Step 1 -- began with that arrangement, more or less -- I was 40 when I was working in Houston in 2006, and I was allowed to transfer to the Austin office and move to the Hill Country, where I worked in Austin 2-3 days a week and worked from home the rest of the time. I had an ongoing arrangement with a motel a mile from the office where I'd stay overnight while I was at the office. I'd leave home at 4:30 AM (or so) on Monday morning and come home Wednesday afternoon most of the time.

A couple years later, the facilities folks wanted to consolidate office space in Austin, and they asked me if I minded giving up my office since I was only there half of the time. I told them that if my boss didn't object to having me telecommute full time, I'd be happy to give it up. He didn't object, I surrendered the office, and I think I only had to go into the Austin office two or three times over the next four years (Step 2) before I was downsized into the next step toward chucking all the BS (Step 3).

Last edited:
Met with the managing director yesterday; he agreed to a two days a week from home. Step 1 on my guide path to retirement. Funny but the forecast just changed for some long awaited warm weather...I think it is a sign.

Crazy but I can't help but think..Am really doing this?

Congrats! I started 2 days a week from home just over a year ago, and it made a huge difference in my attitude. In my face, the office isn't that far (only about 10 miles), but it's an open office environment, and I can't stand sitting in the bull pen hearing every pen click and gum chew of my colleagues. But only going in every other day makes it totally tolerable.

And yes, taking the laptop out onto the back deck to do some work on a sunny afternoon is a nice perk :cool:

Back
Top Bottom